U-bend fiber optical sensor for magnetic field sensing
- 65 Downloads
In this paper, we propose a method for fabricating a U-bend optical fiber magnetic field sensor. The working principle of the sensor is based on the use of bending to induce a whispering gallery mode. In experimental testing, a U-shaped optic fiber probe was fabricated using a lamping process and then coated on its surface with ferroferric oxide (Fe3O4), which served as the magnetic field sensing layer. The intensity of an applied magnetic field was then controlled by the vertical distance between an NbFeB magnet and the sensor. The magnetic field was monitored using a Gauss meter. As the external magnetic field was applied to the sensor, it produced magnetic attraction with the Fe3O4. The magnetic field intensity was increased from 0 to 900 Gauss, which in turn caused the magnetic attraction to become larger. This in turn caused the optic fiber sensor to deform, inducing changes in the bending radius. Therefore, the wavelength shifted toward a short wavelength and the transmission loss was gradually increased. The results show that the sensitivity of the sensor in the magnetic field experiment was − 0.00130 nm/Gauss and the linearity (R2) was 0.888, while the corresponding average loss sensitivity was 0.00028 dB/Gauss and the corresponding linearity (R2) was 0.942.
KeywordsU-bend Optical fiber sensor Whispering gallery mode Magnetic field sensing
This work was supported by the Ministry of Science and Technology, Taiwan (Grant Number MOST-107-2221-E-992-043-MY3).
- Berruti, G., Consales, M., Borriello, A., Giordano, M., Buontempo, S., Breglio, G., Makovec A., Petagna, P., Cusano, A.: High-sensitivity metal oxides-coated long-period fiber grating sensors for humidity monitoring in high-energy physics applications. In: Optical Sensing and Detection III. International Society for Optics and Photonics, vol. 9141, pp. 914114 (2014)Google Scholar
- Filograno, M.L., Pisco, M., Catalano, A., Forte, E., Aiello, M., Cavaliere, C., Soricelli, A., Davino, D., Visone, C., Cutolo, A., Cusano, A.: Triaxial fiber optic magnetic field sensor for magnetic resonance imaging triaxial fiber optic magnetic field sensor for magnetic resonance imaging. J. Lightwave Technol. 35, 3924–3933 (2017)CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- Liu, T., Chen, Y., Han, Q., Lü, X.: Magnetic field sensor based on U-bent single-mode fiber and magnetic fluid. IEEE Photonics J. 6, 1–7 (2014)Google Scholar
- Ruan, Y., Simpson, D.A., Jeske, J., Ebendorff-Heidepriem, H., Lau, D.W., Ji, H., Johnson, B.C., Ohshima, T., Afshar, S., Hollenberg, L., Greentree, A.D., Monro, T.M., Gibson, B.C.: Magnetically sensitive nanodiamond-doped tellurite glass fibers. Sci. Rep. 8, 1268 (2018)Google Scholar
- Wei, F., Mallik, A.K., Liu, D., Wu, Q., Peng, G.D., Farrell, G., Semenova, Y.: Magnetic field sensor based on a combination of a microfiber coupler covered with magnetic fluid and a Sagnac loop. Sci. Rep. 7, 4725 (2017)Google Scholar
- Zhang, R., Liu, T., Han, Q., Chen, Y., Li, L.: U-bent single-mode–multimode–single-mode fiber optic magnetic field sensor based on magnetic fluid. Appl. Phys. Express 7, 072501 (2014)Google Scholar