Injection-locked range and linewidth measurements at different seed-laser linewidths using a Fabry–Pérot laser-diode
In this paper we experimentally examine the dependence of the injection-locked range magnitude of a Fabry–Pérot (FP) laser on the linewidth of a seed laser. We measure the enhancement of the incident-power-dependent injection-locked range when changing the seed-light linewidth in three different ranges, starting with tens of GHz, then hundreds of MHz, and up to a few hundred kHz. We notice the progressive shrinkage of the locking range with an increase in the linewidth of the seed source. Simultaneously, the linewidth of a FP laser was measured and the cancellation of multiple longitudinal operating modes as well as a great reduction of linewidth are observed with a self-homodyne measurement.
KeywordsFabry–Pérot laser diode Semiconductor laser Injection locking Locking range Linewidth reduction
The authors acknowledge the financial support of the Slovenian Research Agency (Research Core Funding No. P2-0246 “Algorithms and optimization procedures in telecommunications”).
- Ali, A.H., Abdul-Wahid, S.N.: Analysis of self-homodyne and delayed self-heterodyne detections for tunable laser source linewidth measurements. IOSR J. Eng. 2(10), 1–6 (2012)Google Scholar
- Batagelj, B., Janyani, V., Tomazic, S.: Research challenges in optical communications toward 2020 and beyond. Inf. Midem. 44(3), 177–184 (2014)Google Scholar
- Chen, H.Y., Yeh, C.H., Chow, C.W., Sung, J.Y., Liu, Y.L., Chen, J.: Investigation of using injection-locked Fabry–Pérot laser diode with 10% front-facet reflectivity for short-reach to long-reach upstream PON access. IEEE Photonics J. 5(3), 7901208 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1109/JPHOT.2013.2265219 ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Erzen, V., Mikulic, M., B. Batagelj.: Frequency-response measurements of an injection-locked Fabry–Pérot laser diode in a colorless WDM-PON. In: 2015 Workshop on Fiber Optics in Access Network FOAN’2015, pp. 26–30 (2015)Google Scholar
- Jin X., Chuang, S.L.: Injection-locking in Fabry–Pérot quantum-well lasers. In: 2005 Semiconductor Device Research Symposium, pp. 438–439 (2005)Google Scholar
- Lawrence, J. S.: Diode lasers with optical-feedback, optical-injection, and phase-conjugate feedback. Ph.D. Dissertation, Macquarie University (2000)Google Scholar
- Nguyen, Q.T., et al.: Using optical injection of Fabry–Pérot lasers for high-speed access in optical telecommunications. In: Semiconductor Lasers and Laser Dynamics IV, SPIE Photonics Europe, Proceedings, vol. 7720 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1117/12.85513
- Ratkoceri, J., Batagelj, B.: Comparison of the frequency responses of free-running and injection-locked Fabry–Pérot laser diodes up to 10 GHz. In: 2017 Workshop on Fiber Optics in Access Network FOAN’2017 (2017)Google Scholar
- Šprem, M., Babić, D., Bosiljevac, M., Šipuš, Z.: Temperature dependence of injection-locked Fabry–Pérot laser emission in WDM-PON architectures. In: 2015 Convention on Information and Communication Technology, Electronics and Microelectronics MIPRO’2015, pp. 74–78 (2015)Google Scholar