Generation of an ultrabroadband supercontinuum in the mid-infrared region using dispersion-engineered GeAsSe photonic crystal fiber
An ultrabroadband mid-infrared (MIR) region supercontinuum (SC) is demonstrated numerically through dispersion-engineered traditional chalcogenide (ChG) photonic crystal fiber (PCF). By varying structural parameters pitch (hole to hole spacing) and air-hole diameter to pitch ratio, a number of 10-mm-long hexagonal PCFs made employing GeAsSe ChG glass as a core and air-holes of hexagonal lattice running through their lengths as a cladding are optimized to predict an efficient mid-infrared region SC spectral emission by pumping them using a tunable pump source between 2.9 and 3.3 µm. Simulations are carried out using an ultrashort pump pulse of 100-fs duration with a low pulse peak powers of between 3 and 4 kW into the optimized designs. It is found through numerical analysis that efficient SC spectral broadening with flattened output can be obtained by increasing the PCF pitch rather than increasing the PCF cladding containing air-hole diameter although a larger nonlinear coefficient could be obtained through increasing air-hole diameter of an optimized design. Simulation results show that the SC spectra can be broadened up to 12.2 µm for a certain design with a peak power of 3 kW. Using a peak power of 4 kW, it is possible to obtain SC spectral broadening beyond 14 µm with an optimized design spanning the wavelength range from 1.8 to 14 µm which covers the electromagnetic spectrum required for MIR molecular fingerprint region applications such as sensing and biological imaging.
KeywordsNumerical analysis and approximation Microstructured fiber Ultrafast nonlinear optics Chalcogenide Supercontinuum generation
Funding for this research was provided by the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) under the Grants GA 010-2014 (ULUNG) and the University of Malaya under the Grants RP029B-15 AFR and RU001-2017. We would also like to thank the City, University of London for providing support for this work under the Newton Fund Grant IF026-2018.
- Aggarwal, I.D., Sanghera, J.S.: Development and applications of chalcogenide glass optical fibers at NRL. J. Optoelectron. Adv. Mater. 4(3), 665–678 (2002)Google Scholar
- Domachuk, P., Wolchover, N.A., Cronin-Golomb, M., Wang, A., George, A.K., Cordeiro, C.M.B., Knight, J.C., Omenetto, F.G.: Over 4000 nm bandwidth of Mid-IR supercontinuum generation in subcentimeter segments of highly nonlinear tellurite PCFs. Opt. Express 16, 7161–7168 (2008)ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fatome, J., Fortier, C., Nguyen, T.N., Chartier, T., Smektala, F., Messaad, K., Kibler, B., Pitois, S., Gadret, G., Finot, C., Troles, J., Desevedavy, F., Houizot, P., Renversez, G., Brilland, L., Traynor, N.: Linear and nonlinear characterizations of chalcogenide photonic crystal fibers. J. Lightwave Technol. 27(11), 1707–1715 (2009)ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kubat, I., Agger, C.S., Møller, U., Seddon, A.B., Tang, Z., Sujecki, S., Benson, T.M., Furniss, D., Lamarini, S., Scholle, K., Fuhrberg, P., Napier, B., Farries, M., Ward, J., Moselund, P.M., Bang, O.: Mid-infrared supercontinuum generation to 12.5 µm in large NA chalcogenide step-index fibers pumped at 4.5 µm. Opt. Express 22, 19169–19182 (2014)ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Petersen, C.R., Møller, U., Kubat, I., Zhou, B., Dupont, S., Ramsay, J., Benson, T., Sujecki, S., Abdel-Moneim, M., Tang, Z., Furniss, D., Seddon, A., Bang, O.: Midinfrared supercontinuum covering the 1.4–13.3 µm molecular fingerprint region using ultrahigh NA ChG step-index fiber. Nat. Photonics 8, 830–834 (2014)ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Seddon, A.B., Napier, B., Lindsay, I., Lamrini, S., Moselund, P.M., Stone, N., Bang, O.: Mid-infrared spectroscopy/bioimaging: moving toward MIR optical biopsy. Laser Focus World 52(2), 50–53 (2016)Google Scholar
- Shaw, L.B., Gattass, R.R., Sanghera, J.S., and Aggarwal, I D.: All-fiber mid-IR supercontinuum source from 1.5 to 5 µm. In: Proceedings of the SPIE 7914 (2011)Google Scholar
- Stepniewski, G., Klimczak, M., Bookey, H., Siwicki, B., Pysz, D., Stepien, R., Kar, A.K., Waddie, A.J., Taghizadeh, M.R., Buczynski, R.: Broadband supercontinuum generation in normal dispersion all-solid photonic crystal fiber pumped near 1300 nm. Laser Phys. Lett. 11, 055103 (2014)ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhao, Z., Wu, X., Wang, W., Pa, Z., Liu, Z., Zhang, P., Shen, X., Nie, Q., Dai, S., Wang, R.: Mid-infrared supercontinuum covering 2–16 µm in a low-loss telluride singlemode fiber. Laser Photonics Rev. 2, 1700005 (2017)Google Scholar