Determining junction temperature based on material properties and geometric structures of LEDs
- 60 Downloads
Based on the material properties and geometric structures of LEDs, this paper proposes an analytical model for predicting the junction temperature. The parameters relevant to the junction temperature are calculated using the material properties and geometric structures of LEDs. The junction temperature of AlGaInP LED predicted from this work agrees with the available experimental data. Effects of LED working parameters and material properties on the junction temperatures are discussed in this study.
KeywordsLED Material properties Geometric structures Junction temperature
Support for this work by ministry of science and technology under Grant No. MOST 106-2221-E-146-006-, Guangdong educational department of scientific research project with Grant No. 2017GKTSCX105, Dongguan Polytechnic scientific research fund through Grant No. 2017a04, and Dongguan Polytechnic quality engineering Project under No. JGZD201826 is gratefully acknowledged.
- Chhajed, S., Xi, Y., Gessmann, Th., Xi, J.Q., Shah, J.M., Kim, J.K., Schubert, E.F.: Junction temperature in light-emitting diodes assessed by different methods. In: Progress in Biomedical Optics and Imaging—Proceedings of SPIE, Light-Emitting Diodes: Research, Manufacturing, and Applications IX, vol. 5739, pp. 16–24 (2005) Google Scholar
- Eugene, H., Nadarajah, N.: A method for projecting useful life of LED lighting systems. Proc. Soc. Photo Opt. Inst. Eng. 5187, 93–99 (2004)Google Scholar
- Feng, R., Jie, G., Hao, X.: Determining the junction temperature of GaN-based blue LED with the double spectral parameter. J. Optoelectron. Laser 26, 2083–2088 (2015)Google Scholar
- Fischer, A.J., Allerman, A.A., Crawford, M.H., Bogart, K.H.A., Lee, S.R., Kaplar, R.J., Chow, W.W., Kurtz, S.R., Fullmer, K.W., Figiel, J.J.: Room-temperature direct current operation of 290 nm light-emitting diodes with milliwatt power levels. Appl. Phys. Lett. 84, 3394–3396 (2004)ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ochoa-Martínez, E., Barrutia, L., Ochoa, M., Barrigón, E., Carcía, I., Rey-Stolle, I., Algora, C., Basa, P., Kronome, G., Gabás, M.: Refractive indexes and extinction coefficients of n-and p-type doped GaInP, AlInP and AlGaInP for multi junction solar cells. Sol. Energy Mater. Sol. Cells 174, 388–396 (2018)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Xi, Y., Xi, J.Q., Gessmann, Th, Shah, J.M., Kim, J.K., Schubert, E.F., Fischer, A.J., Crawford, M.H., Bogart, K.H.A., Allerman, A.A.: Junction and carrier temperature measurements in deep-ultraviolet light-emitting diodes using three different methods. Appl. Phys. Lett. 86, 031907 (2005a)ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar