Strong electromagnetic field localization near the surface of hemicylindrical particles
- 159 Downloads
We theoretically study the forward and backward plane wave illuminations of hemicylindrical dielectric particles with different radii and refractive indices. Near field effects providing strong field enhancement and narrow beam width are obtained from hemicylindrical particles, which can be associated with whispering gallery modes (WGMs) and photonic nano-jets (PNJs). It should be noted that existence of PNJ and WGM effects depending on forward/backward light illuminations is studied for the first time in all-dielectric hemicylindrical particles. Compared to dielectric cylinders, hemicylindrical aided PNJs show relatively small influences of WGM regime, when exists, to PNJ behavior. Under the backward excitation, on the other hand, typical nano-jet is produced. The designed hemicylindrical structure could be implemented in high-resolution optical imaging and sensing applications.
KeywordsSubwavelength structures Whispering gallery modes Photonic nano-jets Super-resolution Laser beam shaping
Hamza Kurt acknowledges the support of Turkish Academy of Sciences, Oleg V. Minin acknowledges the partial support by Mendeleev Scientific Fund of Tomsk State University, Project 8.2.08.2017.
- Coillet, A., Henriet, R., Huy, K., Jacquot, M., Furfaro, L., Balakireva, I., Larger, L., Chembo, Y.: Microwave photonics systems based on whispering-gallerymode resonators. J. Vis. Exp. 78, 610 (2013)Google Scholar
- Mahariq, I., Kurt, H., Kuzuoğlu, M.: Questioning degree of accuracy offered by the spectral element method in computational electromagnetics. Appl. Comput. Electromagn. Soc. J. 30, 698 (2015)Google Scholar
- Mahariq, I., Kuzuoğlu, M., Tarman, H.I.: On the attenuation of perfectly matched layer in electromagnetic scattering problems with spectral element method. Appl. Comput. Electromagn. Soc. J. 29, 701–710 (2014)Google Scholar
- Minin, I.V., Minin, O.V.: Diffractive Optics and Nanophotonics: Resolution Below the Diffraction Limit. Springer, Berlin (2015)Google Scholar
- Righini, G.C., Dumeige, Y., Feron, P., Ferrari, M., Conti, G., Ristic, D., Soria, S.: Whispering gallery mode microresonators: fundamentals and applications. Riv. Nuovo Cimen. 34, 435–490 (2011)Google Scholar