A C# code for solving 3D topology optimization problems using SAP2000
- 158 Downloads
SAP2000 is well-known commercial software for analysis and design of structural systems that is equipped with an open application programming interface (OAPI). In this work, a code written in C# able to solve three-dimensional topology optimization problems is presented, where a topology optimization framework was integrated into SAP2000 taking advantage of its OAPI feature. The code is partially based on the 99 and 88 line codes written by Sigmund (Struct Multidiscip Optim 21(2):120–127, 2001) and Andreassen et al. (Struct Multidiscip Optim 43(1):1–16, 2011). The code solves the problem of minimum compliance while through OAPI it takes advantage of all modelling capabilities of SAP2000. The paper covers the theoretical aspects of topology optimization incorporated in the code and provides detailed description of their numerical implementations. Special effort was made to the latter one, describing in detail all numerical aspects of the code, in order to facilitate the reader to understand the code, and therefore being able to further enhance its capabilities. The complete code can be downloaded from GitHub (https://github.com/nikoslagaros/TOCP).
KeywordsTopology optimization SAP2000 OAPI C# code Optimality criteria Method of moving asymptotes Conceptual design
This research has been supported by the OptArch project: “Optimization Driven Architectural Design of Structures” (No: 689983) belonging to the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) Research and Innovation Staff Exchange (RISE) H2020-MSCA-RISE-2015.
- Allaire G (2017) Codes: http://www.cmap.polytechnique.fr/~allaire/levelset_en.html. Accessed Nov 2017
- ANSYS Topology Optimization (2017) http://www.ansys.com/products/structures/topology-optimization. Accessed Nov 2017
- Haug EJ, Arora JS (1974) Optimal mechanical design techniques based on optimal control methods, ASME paper No 64-DTT-10. In: Proceedings of the 1st ASME design technology transfer conference, New York, pp 65–74Google Scholar
- Moses F (1974) Mathematical programming methods for structural optimization. ASME Struct Optim Symp AMD 7:35–48Google Scholar
- OptiStruct (2017) http://www.altairhyperworks.com/product/OptiStruct/. Accessed Nov 2017
- Sheu CY, Prager W (1968) Recent development in optimal structural design. Appl Mech Rev 21(10):985–992Google Scholar
- SOLDWORKS (2017) http://help.solidworks.com/2018/english/WhatsNew/c_generative_design_study.htm. Accessed Nov 2017
- Spunt L (1971) Optimum structural design. Prentice-Hall, Englewood CliffsGoogle Scholar
- Tosca (2017) https://www.3ds.com/products-services/simulia/products/tosca/. Accessed Nov 2017
- Wilson EL, Habibullah A (2017) SAP 2000 software, version 19. Computer and Structures, Inc. (CSI), BerkeleyGoogle Scholar