Synchronization of asymmetrically coupled systems
- 54 Downloads
In this paper, the dynamics of two mechanical oscillators interacting through an asymmetric coupling is considered. In the uncontrolled system, the asymmetry in the coupling prevents the oscillators from reaching synchronization. Therefore, a state feedback controller is designed and applied to the coupling system in order to remove the asymmetry. The resulting closed-loop dynamics is analyzed by using the Poincaré method, and analytic conditions for the existence of stable synchronous solutions are derived. It is demonstrated that two synchronous solutions coexist in the closed-loop system, namely in-phase and anti-phase synchronization. Additionally, analytic expressions for the amplitude, frequency, and phase of these solutions—which are not determined by a reference signal, but rather by the intrinsic properties of the coupled systems—are provided and a characteristic equation for determining the stability of the synchronous solution is given. Finally, the obtained theoretical results are illustrated by numerical simulations, including a numerical study on the robustness of the synchronous solution.
KeywordsSynchronization Asymmetric coupling Poincaré method of perturbation
This research has been partially supported by Mexican Council for Science and Technology, CONACYT, under Grant ‘Catedra CONACYT No. 888’.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Strogatz, S.: Sync: The Emerging Science of Spontaneous Order. Hyperon, New York (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Huygens, C.: Oeuvres complètes de Christiaan Huygens. In: Nijhoff, M. (ed.) Correspondance, vol. 5, pp. 1664–1665. La Societe Hollandaise des Sciences, The Hague (1893)Google Scholar
- 15.Xin, X., Muraoka, Y., Hara, S.: Analysis of synchronization of n metronomes on a cart via describing function method: new results beyond two metronomes. In: Proceedings of the 2016 American Control Conference (ACC), July 6–8, Boston, MA, pp. 6604–6609 (2016)Google Scholar
- 19.Liu, Z., Tian, Y., Zhou, C.: Controlled anti-phase synchronization of passive gait. In: Proceedings of the 2006 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics, Kunming, China (2016)Google Scholar
- 22.Blekhman, I.I.: Synchronization in Science and Technology. ASME Press, New York (1988)Google Scholar
- 29.Hirata Salazar, G.: Design and implementation of control algorithms for attenuation of seismic vibrations in a class of structures. Ph.D. Thesis, CICESE (2016)Google Scholar
- 32.Ruiz Ramos, I., Pena Ramirez, J., Alvarez, J.: Synchronous behavior in asymmetrically coupled pendulums. In: Proceedings of the 2017 International Symposium on Nonlinear Theory and its Applications, December 4–7, Cancun, Mexico (2017)Google Scholar