Clinical features, radiological profiles, and surgical outcomes of primary intracranial solitary plasmacytomas: a report of 17 cases and a pooled analysis of individual patient data
We aim to delineate the clinical characteristics of patients with primary intracranial solitary plasmacytoma (PISPC) and prognostic factors for their outcomes.
This study retrospectively reviewed 17 patients with PISPC from our center and an additional 70 cases of PISPC published previously to analyze outcome predictors.
The entire cohort included 38 (43.7%) males and 49 (56.3%) females with a mean age of 54 years. Skull base tumors were found in 49 (56.3%) patients. Gross total resection (GTR) was achieved in 31 (35.6%) patients. Postoperative adjuvant treatments, including radiotherapy (RT) alone, chemotherapy (CMT) alone, and RT + CMT were administered in 49 (56.3%) patients, 3 (3.5%) patients, and 16 (18.4%) patients, respectively. After a median follow-up of 24 (mean 42.4) months, the 5-year disease progression-free survival (PFS), recurrence-free survival (RFS), multiple myeloma (MM)-free survival (MMFS), and overall survival (OS) were 52.9%, 76.2%, 69.6%, and 76.1%, respectively. Multivariate analysis unveiled that a skull base tumor location (HR 2.395, p = 0.040) and no RT (HR 3.115, p = 0.004) were negative prognostic factors for PFS, no RT (HR 10.526, p = 0.003) for RFS, each 1-year increase in age (HR 1.039, p = 0.049) for MMFS, and increasing age (HR 1.052, p = 0.043) and CMT (HR 6.022, p = 0.005) were risk factors for OS. However, GTR did not benefit the aforementioned outcomes.
For patients with presumed PISPC, a biopsy followed by RT is recommended for skull base PISPC. However, the role of CMT is still not clear. Our findings need to be verified in a larger prospective cohort in the future. Systematic review registration number CRD42018098782.
KeywordsPrimary intracranial solitary plasmacytoma Multiple myeloma development Radiotherapy Chemotherapy
Gross total resection
Nongross total resection
Primary intracranial solitary plasmacytoma
This work was supported in part by the Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No.81672506 to Z.W. and 814742370 to J.T.Z.).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
All the authors declared that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- 1.Soutar R, Lucraft H, Jackson G, Reece A, Bird J, Low E, Samson D, Guidelines Working Group of the UKMF, British Committee for Standards in H, British Society for H (2004) Guidelines on the diagnosis and management of solitary plasmacytoma of bone and solitary extramedullary plasmacytoma. Br J Haematol 124 (6):717–726. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clon.2004.02.007 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Rajkumar SV, Dimopoulos MA, Palumbo A, Blade J, Merlini G, Mateos MV, Kumar S, Hillengass J, Kastritis E, Richardson P, Landgren O, Paiva B, Dispenzieri A, Weiss B, LeLeu X, Zweegman S, Lonial S, Rosinol L, Zamagni E, Jagannath S, Sezer O, Kristinsson SY, Caers J, Usmani SZ, Lahuerta JJ, Johnsen HE, Beksac M, Cavo M, Goldschmidt H, Terpos E, Kyle RA, Anderson KC, Durie BG, Miguel JF (2014) International Myeloma Working Group updated criteria for the diagnosis of multiple myeloma. Lancet Oncol 15(12):e538–e548. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(14)70442-5 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Jurczyszyn A, Grzasko N, Gozzetti A, Czepiel J, Cerase A, Hungria V, Crusoe E, Silva Dias AL, Vij R, Fiala MA, Caers J, Rasche L, Nooka AK, Lonial S, Vesole DH, Philip S, Gangatharan S, Druzd-Sitek A, Walewski J, Corso A, Cocito F, Vekemans MC, Atilla E, Beksac M, Leleu X, Davila J, Badros A, Aneja E, Abildgaard N, Kastritis E, Fantl D, Schutz N, Pika T, Butrym A, Olszewska-Szopa M, Usnarska-Zubkiewicz L, Usmani SZ, Nahi H, Chim CS, Shustik C, Madry K, Lentzsch S, Swiderska A, Helbig G, Guzicka-Kazimierczak R, Lendvai N, Waage A, Andersen KT, Murakami H, Zweegman S, Castillo JJ (2016) Central nervous system involvement by multiple myeloma: a multi-institutional retrospective study of 172 patients in daily clinical practice. Am J Hematol 91(6):575–580. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajh.24351 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Schwartz TH, Rhiew R, Isaacson SR, Orazi A, Bruce JN (2001) Association between intracranial plasmacytoma and multiple myeloma: clinicopathological outcome study. Neurosurgery 49(5):1039Google Scholar
- 9.Gagliardi F, Losa M, Boari N, Spina A, Reni M, Terreni MR, Mortini P (2013) Solitary clival plasmocytomas: misleading clinical and radiological features of a rare pathology with a specific biological behaviour. Acta Neurochir 155(10):1849–1856. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00701-013-1845-3 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Gozzetti A, Cerase A, Lotti F, Rossi D, Palumbo A, Petrucci MT, Patriarca F, Nozzoli C, Cavo M, Offidani M, Floridia M, Berretta S, Vallone R, Musto P, Lauria F, Party GMW, Marchini E, Fabbri A, Oliva S, Zamagni E, Sapienza FG, Ballanti S, Mele G, Galli M, Pirrotta MT, Di Raimondo F (2012) Extramedullary intracranial localization of multiple myeloma and treatment with novel agents: a retrospective survey of 50 patients. Cancer 118(6):1574–1584. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.26447 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Nieuwenhuizen L, Biesma DH (2010) Central nervous system myelomatosis: review of the literature. Eur J Haematol 80(1):1–9Google Scholar
- 13.Ozsahin M, Tsang RW, Poortmans P, Belkacemi Y, Bolla M, Dincbas FO, Landmann C, Castelain B, Buijsen J, Curschmann J, Kadish SP, Kowalczyk A, Anacak Y, Hammer J, Nguyen TD, Studer G, Cooper R, Sengoz M, Scandolaro L, Zouhair A (2006) Outcomes and patterns of failure in solitary plasmacytoma: a multicenter Rare Cancer Network study of 258 patients. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 64(1):210–217. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2005.06.039 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Ferreira-Filho LA, Pedroso JL, Sato EA, Yared JH, Barsottini OG, Bulle Oliveira AS, Diniz-Ferreira NP (2014) Teaching neuroimages: “mini brain” sign: a radiologic marker for vertebral solitary plasmacytoma. Neurology 82(23):e210–e211. https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0000000000000494 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Provenzale JM, Schaefer P, Traweek ST, Ferry J, Moore JO, Friedman AH, McLendon RE (1997) Craniocerebral plasmacytoma: MR features. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 18(2):389–392Google Scholar
- 20.Juneau P, Schoene WC, Black P (1992) Malignant tumors in the pituitary gland. Arch Neurol 49(5):555–558. https://doi.org/10.1001/archneur.1992.00530290147025 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Chim CS, Ooi GC (2005) Bulbar palsy in multiple myeloma. Haematologica 90(12 Suppl):ECR42Google Scholar
- 28.Holland J, Trenkner DA, Wasserman TH, Fineberg B (1992) Plasmacytoma. Treatment results and conversion to myeloma. Cancer 69 (6):1513–1517. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19920315)69:6%3C1513::AID-CNCR2820690633%3E3.0.CO;2-X CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Aviles A, Huerta-Guzman J, Delgado S, Fernandez A, Diaz-Maqueo JC (1996) Improved outcome in solitary bone plasmacytomata with combined therapy. Hematol Oncol 14 (3):111–117. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1069(199609)14:3%3C111::AID-HON575%3E3.0.CO;2-G CrossRefGoogle Scholar