Manganese oxides/N-doped carbon particles with high capacity retention for aqueous rechargeable zinc battery
- 206 Downloads
Manganese dioxide as the electrode for aqueous zinc-ion batteries (AZIBs) is influenced by the material dissolution. Herein, β-MnO2/N-doped carbon matrix (NCm) or Mn5O8/NCm composites were fabricated by effective synthesis process using polyaniline (PANI) as carbon/nitrogen sources. The conductive N-doped carbon layer was tied to β-MnO2, which increased the electrical conductivity of the β-MnO2 nanorod. At current densities of 200 mA g−1, the β-MnO2/NCm electrode delivered a higher discharge capacity of 331 mAh g−1 comparing with 185 mAh g−1 for the pure β-MnO2 electrode. Besides, the Mn5O8/NCm electrode could provide a discharge capacity of 266 mAh g−1. Therefore, the approach in this study may pave the way on preparing manganese oxides/NCm materials for AZIBs.
KeywordsManganese oxide N-doped Cathode materials Capacity retention Mild aqueous electrolyte Energy storage
The work described in this paper was supported by Shandong Province Natural Science Foundation (ZR2012EMM009, ZR2013EMQ005 and ZR2018MEM012), the Foundation of Key Laboratory of Pulp and Paper Science and Technology of Ministry of Education/Shandong Province of China (No. KF201602), the Scientific Research Foundation for the Returned Overseas Scholars in Jinan (20100406), National Training Program of Innovation and Entrepreneurship for Undergraduates (201610431033 and 201810431008), and National Natural Science Foundations of China (31570566, 31500489, 51372140, 51303086, 51403111, 51503107, and 51172130).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Alfaruqi MH, Islam S, Mathew V, Song J, Kim S, Tung DP, Jo J, Kim S, Baboo JP, Xiu Z, Kim J (2017) Ambient redox synthesis of vanadium-doped manganese dioxide nanoparticles and their enhanced zinc storage properties. Appl Surf Sci 404:435–442. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2017.02.009 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hu P, Yan M, Wang X, Han C, He L, Wei X, Niu C, Zhao K, Tian X, Wei Q, Li Z, Mai L (2016) Single-nanowire electrochemical probe detection for internally optimized mechanism of porous graphene in electrochemical devices. Nano Lett 16:1523–1529. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.nanolett.5b03576 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Islam S, Alfaruqi MH, Mathew V, Song J, Kim S, Kim S, Jo J, Baboo JP, Pham DT, Putro DY, Sun Y-K, Kim J (2017a) Facile synthesis and the exploration of the zinc storage mechanism of β-MnO2 nanorods with exposed (101) planes as a novel cathode material for high performance eco-friendly zinc-ion batteries. J Mater Chem A 5:23299–23309. https://doi.org/10.1039/C7TA07170A CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Islam S, Alfaruqi MH, Song J, Kim S, Pham DT, Jo J, Kim S, Mathew V, Baboo JP, Xiu Z, Kim J (2017b) Carbon-coated manganese dioxide nanoparticles and their enhanced electrochemical properties for zinc-ion battery applications. J Energy Chem 26:815–819. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jechem.2017.04.002 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sambandam B, Soundharrajan V, Kim S, Alfaruqi MH, Jo J, Kim S, Mathew V, Sun Y-k, Kim J (2018) Aqueous rechargeable Zn-ion batteries: an imperishable and high-energy Zn2V2O7 nanowire cathode through intercalation regulation. J Mater Chem A 6:3850–3856. https://doi.org/10.1039/c7ta11237h CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yan M, He P, Chen Y, Wang S, Wei Q, Zhao K, Xu X, An Q, Shuang Y, Shao Y, Mueller KT, Mai L, Liu J, Yang J (2018) Water-lubricated intercalation in V2O5 .nH2O for high-capacity and high-rate aqueous rechargeable zinc batteries. Adv Mater 30:1703725. https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.201703725 CrossRefGoogle Scholar