RCQDs @ Ag/VOx nanorods for enhanced visible-light photocatalytic activity
- 73 Downloads
Carbon quantum dots, a new class of carbon nanomaterials, have attracted increasing attention in photocatalytic field, due to their excellent physical and photochemical properties. In this work, carbon quantum dots with abundant of surface hydroxyl/aldehyde groups reduce silver ion and partial vanadate to induce the formation of carbon quantum dots (CQDs) @ Ag/VOx nanorods in a mild hydrothermal condition. HRTEM graphs show that VOx nanorods are composed of VOx particles, and CQDs @ Ag cover the surface of nanorods or intercalates in the small voids between VOx particles. After further reduction of some residual Ag+ and oxygen-containing groups on CQDs surface by NaBH4, RCQDs @ Ag/VOx nanorods display a high photocatalytic activity on degrading the organic dyes under visible light, attributed to their unique one-dimensional structure and the synergistic effect of RCQDs and Ag nanoparticles on improving the light absorbance and hindering the recombination of electrons and holes.
KeywordsVanadium oxides Photocatalysis Carbon quantum dots Nanorods
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (no. 51302072, 51872081).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Di J, Xia J, Ji M, Xu L, Yin S, Zhang Q, Chen Z, Li H (2016) Carbon quantum dots in situ coupling to bismuth oxyiodide via reactable ionic liquid with enhanced photocatalytic molecular oxygen activation performance. Carbon 98:613–623. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2015.11.015 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- El-Roz M, Lakiss L, Telegeiev I, Lebedev OI, Bazin P, Vicente A, Fernandez C, Valtchev V (2017) High-visible-light photoactivity of plasma-promoted vanadium clusters on nanozeolites for partial photooxidation of methanol. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 9:17846–17855. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.7b02161 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hong Y, Jiang Y, Li C, Fan W, Yan X, Yan M, Shi W (2016) In-situ synthesis of direct solid-state Z-scheme V2O5/g-C3N4 heterojunctions with enhanced visible light efficiency in photocatalytic degradation of pollutants. Appl Catal B Environ 180:663–673. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcatb.2015.06.057 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jing L, Qu Y, Wang B, Li S, Jiang B, Yang L, Fu W, Fu H, Sun J (2006) Review of photoluminescence performance of nano-sized semiconductor materials and its relationships with photocatalytic activity. Sol Energy Mater Sol Cells 90:1773–1787. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solmat.2005.11.007 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kundu S, Satpati B, Kar T, Pradhan SK (2017) Microstructure characterization of hydrothermally synthesized PANI/V2O5 nH2O heterojunction photocatalyst for visible light induced photodegradation of organic pollutants and non-absorbing colorless molecules. J Hazard Mater 339:161–173. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2017.06.034 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- O’Dwyer C, Lavayen V, Tanner DA, Newcomb SB, Benavente E, González G, Torres CMS (2009) Reduced surfactant uptake in three dimensional assemblies of VOx nanotubes improves reversible Li+ intercalation and charge capacity. Adv Funct Mater 19:1736–1745. https://doi.org/10.1002/adfm.200801107 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Taha AA, Hriez AA, Wu Y, Wang H, Li F (2014) Direct synthesis of novel vanadium oxide embedded porous carbon nanofiber decorated with iron nanoparticles as a low-cost and highly efficient visible-light-driven photocatalyst. J Colloid Interface Sci 417:199–205. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2013.11.015 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wu XF, Li H, Sun Y, Wang YJ, Zhang CX, Su JZ, Zhang JR, Yang FF, Zhang Y, Pan JC (2017a) Synthesis of SnS2/few layer boron nitride nanosheets composites as a novel material for visible-light-driven photocatalysis. Appl Phys A Mater 123(709). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00339-017-1286-6
- Wu XF, Zhao ZH, Sun Y, Li H, Zhang CX, Wang YJ, Liu Y, Wang YD, Yang XY, Gong XD (2017b) Preparation and characterization of Ag2CrO4/few layer boron nitride hybrids for visible-light-driven photocatalysis. J Nanopart Res 19(193). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11051-017-3892-9
- Wu XF, Sun Y, Li H, Wang YJ, Zhang CX, Zhang JR, Su JZ, Wang YW, Zhang Y, Wang C, Zhang M (2018) In-situ synthesis of novel p-n heterojunction of Ag2CrO4-Bi2Sn2O7 hybrids for visible-light-driven photocatalysis. J Alloys Compd 740:1197–1203. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2018.01.100 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yu H, Zhang H, Huang H, Liu Y, Li H, Ming H, Kang Z (2012) ZnO/carbon quantum dots nanocomposites: one-step fabrication and superior photocatalytic ability for toxic gas degradation under visible light at room temperature. New J Chem 36:1031–1035. https://doi.org/10.1039/c2nj20959d CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zavahir S, Xiao Q, Sarina S, Zhao J, Bottle S, Wellard M, Jia JF, Ling LQ, Huang Y, Blinco JP, Wu H, Zhu HY (2016) Selective oxidation of aliphatic alcohols using molecular oxygen at ambient temperature: mixed-valence vanadium oxide photocatalysts. ACS Catal 6:3580–3588. https://doi.org/10.1021/acscatal.6b00753 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhang F, Zhang Y, Zhou C, Yang Z, Xue H, Dionysiou DD (2017) A new high efficiency visible-light photocatalyst made of SnS2 and conjugated derivative of polyvinyl alcohol and its application to Cr (VI) reduction. Chem Eng J 324:140–153. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2017.05.009 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhou X, Wu J, Li Q, Qi Y, Ji Z, He P, Ren J (2017) Improved electron-hole separation and migration in V2O5 / rutile-anatase photocatalyst system with homo-hetero junctions and its enhanced photocatalytic performance. Chem Eng J 330:294–308. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2017.07.146 CrossRefGoogle Scholar