UV photodetector based on polycrystalline SnO2 nanotubes by electrospinning with enhanced performance
- 119 Downloads
UV (ultraviolet) photodetectors with high performance have a wide range of applications such as environmental monitoring and water sterilization. Herein, we have demonstrated that the visible-blind UV photodetectors based on polycrystalline SnO2 nanotubes by electrospinning combined the advantages of low dark current and high photocurrent-to-dark current ratio. The optimized photodetector based on SnO2 nanotube film showed a strong rise in current amplitude; the photocurrent was 25.60 nA, about 850 times larger than the dark current of 0.03 nA, under a voltage as small as 1.0 V and 320 nm illumination at 75 μW/cm2. In addition, these devices presented improved characteristic on time responses. Investigations indicated that the features of high signal-to-noise ratio and relatively fast response speed are strongly relied upon the band-edge modulation along the axial direction of nanotube, where Schottky barriers are formed among the grain interfaces of polycrystalline SnO2 nanoparticles, together with the processes of oxygen adsorption/desorption in air. These results suggest that the polycrystalline SnO2 nanotube is a potential candidate for the fabrication of photodetector with low cost and high performance.
KeywordsSnO2 nanotube Polycrystalline Photodetector Electrospinning Sensors
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (nos. 21361009, 21363007, and 21175033) and the Foundation for PhD of Hubei University for Nationalities (MY2015B022, MY2015B023).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Chen MX, Zhao B, Hu GF, Fang XS, Wang H, Wang L, Luo J, Han X, Wang XD, Pan CF (2018) Piezo-phototronic effect modulated deep UV photodetector based on ZnO-Ga2O3 heterojuction microwire. Adv Funct Mater 1706379. https://doi.org/10.1002/adfm.201706379
- Li YM, Song Y, Jiang YC, Hu MX, Pan ZC, Xu XJ, Chen HY, Li YS, Hu LF, Fang XS (2017) Optoelectronic devices: solution-growth strategy for large-scale “CuGaO2 nanoplate/ZnS microsphere” heterostructure arrays with enhanced UV adsorption and optoelectronic properties. Adv Funct Mater 27:1701066–1701075. https://doi.org/10.1002/adfm.201770140 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ouyang WX, Teng F, Fang XS (2018) High performance BiOCl nanosheets/TiO2 nanotube arrays heterojunction UV photodetector: the influences of self-induced inner electric fields in the BiOCl nanosheets. Adv Funct Mater 1707178. https://doi.org/10.1002/adfm.201707178
- Tian W, Zhai TY, Zhang C, Li SL, Wang X, Liu F, Liu DQ, Cai XK, Tsukagoshi K, Golberg D, Bando Y (2013a) Low-cost fully transparent ultraviolet photodetectors based on electrospun ZnO-SnO2 heterojunction nanofibers. Adv Mater 25:4625–4630. https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.201301828 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tian W, Zhang C, Zhai TY, Li SL, Wang X, Liu JW, Jie X, Liu DQ, Liao MY, Koide Y, Golberg D, Bando Y (2014) Flexible ultraviolet photodetectors with broad photoresponse based on branched ZnS-ZnO heterostructure nanofilms. Adv Mater 26:3088–3093. https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.201305457 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yang W, Hu K, Teng F, Weng JH, Zhang Y, Fang XS (2018) High-performance silicon-compatible large-area UV-to-visible broadband photodetector based on integrated lattice-matched type II Se/n-Si heterojunctions. Nano Lett 18:4697–4703. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.nanolett.8b00988 CrossRefGoogle Scholar