Tuning Pt–Cu nanostructures by bromide ions and their superior electrocatalytic activities for methanol oxidation reaction
Dendritic Pt–Cu nanoparticles were synthesized by a facile one-step method with the help of surfactant Brij58 at room temperature, and we also studied the effects of different Pt–Cu ratios on the morphology and size of nanoparticles. In addition, we further tuned the morphology of the Pt–Cu nanostructures by introducing bromide ions, eventually leading to the appearance of some tripod-like structures. Compared with dendritic Pt–Cu and commercial Pt black, these tripod-like Pt–Cu nanostructures exhibited higher electrocatalytic activity and CO tolerance for catalyzing methanol oxidation.
KeywordsNanoparticle Bromide ions Tripod-like Methanol oxidation Nanostructured catalysts
This work was financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (21501106), the Scientific Research Foundation for the Returned Overseas Chinese Scholars and Qingdao Municipal Science and Technology Commission (16-5-1-86-jch), Chemistry Faculty Talents Foundation of Qingdao University of Science and Technology.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Ataee-Esfahani H, Wang L, Nemoto Y, Yamauchi Y (2010) Synthesis of bimetallic Au@Pt nanoparticles with au Core and nanostructured Pt Shell toward highly active Electrocatalysts. Chem Mater 22:6310–6318. https://doi.org/10.1021/cm102074w
- Cao YQ, Yang Y, Shan YF, Huang ZR (2016) One-pot and facile fabrication of hierarchical branched Pt-Cu nanoparticles as excellent electrocatalysts for direct methanol fuel cells. ACS Appl Mater Inter 8:5998–6003. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.5b11364
- Wang HJ, Jeong HY, Imura M, Wang L, Radhakrishnan L, Fujita N, Castle T, Terasaki O, Yamauchi Y (2011) Shape- and size-controlled synthesis in hard templates: sophisticated chemical reduction for mesoporous monocrystalline platinum nanoparticles. J Am Chem Soc 133:14526–14529. https://doi.org/10.1021/ja2058617 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wu J, Yang H (2013) Platinum-based oxygen reduction electrocatalysts. Acc Chem Res 46(8):1848–1857. https://doi.org/10.1021/ar300359w
- Zhang Y, Janyasupab M, Liu CW, Li XX, Xu JQ, Liu CC (2012) Three dimensional PtRh alloy porous nanostructures: tuning the atomic composition and controlling the morphology for the application of direct methanol fuel cells. Adv Funct Mater 22:3570–3575. https://doi.org/10.1002/adfm.201200678 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhou M, Wang H, Vara M, Hood Z, Luo M, Yang TH, Bao SX, Chi MF, Xiao P, Zhang YH, Xia YN (2016) Quantitative analysis of the reduction kinetics responsible for the one-pot synthesis of Pd-Pt bimetallic nanocrystals with different structures. J Am Chem Soc 138:12263–12270. https://doi.org/10.1021/jacs.6b07213 CrossRefGoogle Scholar