Ionic liquid-assisted synthesis of reduced graphene oxide–supported hollow spherical PtCu alloy and its enhanced electrocatalytic activity toward methanol oxidation
- 192 Downloads
In this work, a facile one-pot solvothermal method is developed for fabricating hollow spherical PtCu alloy nanoparticles (with the size of 124 ± 16 nm) supported on reduced graphene oxide (PtCu/rGO), with the assistance of 1-decyl-3-methylimidazolium bromide ([C10MIm]Br) as the structure-directing agent and capping agent. The influence of various experimental parameters on the morphology and structure of prepared PtCu/rGO hybrids is researched. Compared with the commercial Pt/C (10 wt%) and Pt/rGO, the as-prepared PtCu/rGO hybrid exhibits a larger electrochemical active surface area, higher electrocatalytic activity, and better tolerance for methanol oxidation in acidic media. We believe that the hollow spherical PtCu alloy supported on rGO will have great potential applications for direct methanol fuel cells.
KeywordsHollow spherical nanoparticles Platinum-copper alloy Nanostructured catalysts 1-Decyl-3-methylimidazolium bromide Methanol oxidation Graphene
Financial support from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 21573058, 21303044, 21173070) and the Program for Innovative Research Team in Science and Technology in University of Henan Province (15IRTSTHN 003, 17IRTSTHN 001) are gratefully acknowledged.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Chen DJ, Zhang QL, Feng JX, Ju KJ, Wang AJ, Wei J, Feng JJ (2015b) One-pot wet-chemical co-reduction synthesis of bimetallic gold–platinum nanochains supported on reduced graphene oxide with enhanced electrocatalytic activity. J Power Sources 287:363–369. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2015.04.080 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Goodchild I, Collier L, Millar SL, Prokeš I, Lord JCD, Butts CP, Bowers J, Webster JRP, Heenan RK (2007) Structural studies of the phase, aggregation and surface behaviour of 1-alkyl-3-methylimidazolium halide + water mixtures. J Colloid Interface Sci 307:455–468. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2006.11.034 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- He LL, Song P, Feng JJ, Fang R, Yu DX, Chen JR, Wang AJ (2016) Porous dandelion-like gold@palladium core-shell nanocrystals in-situ growth on reduced graphene oxide with improved electrocatalytic properties. Electrochim Acta 200:204–213. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2016.03.098 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ju KJ, Liu L, Feng JJ, Zhang QL, Wei J, Wang AJ (2016) Bio-directed one-pot synthesis of Pt-Pd alloyed nanoflowers supported on reduced graphene oxide with enhanced catalytic activity for ethylene glycol oxidation. Electrochim Acta 188:696–703. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2015.11.126 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lv JJ, Feng JX, Li SS, Wang YY, Wang AJ, Zhang QL, Chen JR, Feng JJ (2014) Ionic liquid crystal-assisted synthesis of PtAg nanoflowers on reduced graphene oxide and their enhanced electrocatalytic activity toward oxygen reduction reaction. Electrochim Acta 133:407–413. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2014.04.077 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Peng Y, Liu C, Pan C, Qiu L, Wang S, Yan F (2013) PPyNT-Im-PtAu alloy nanoparticle hybrids with tunable electroactivity and enhanced durability for methanol electrooxidation and oxygen reduction reaction. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 5:2752–2760. https://doi.org/10.1021/am4004478 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Peng XL, Zhao YC, Chen DH, Fan Y, Wang X, Wang W, Tian J (2014) One-pot synthesis of reduced graphene oxide supported PtCuy catalysts with enhanced electro-catalytic activity for the methanol oxidation reaction. Electrochim Acta 136:292–300. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2014.05.110 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Shin SI, Go A, Kim IY, Lee JM, Lee Y, Hwang SJ (2013) A beneficial role of exfoliated layered metal oxide nanosheets in optimizing the electrocatalytic activity and pore structure of Pt-reduced graphene oxide nanocomposites. Energy Environ Sci 6:608–617. https://doi.org/10.1039/C2EE22739H CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang YS, Yang SY, Li SM, Tien HW, Hsiao ST, Liao WH, Liu CH, Chang KH, Ma CCM, Hu CC (2013) Three-dimensionally porous graphene–carbon nanotube composite-supported PtRu catalysts with an ultrahigh electrocatalytic activity for methanol oxidation. Electrochim Acta 87:261–269. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2012.09.013 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yuan CX, Fan YR, Zhang T et al (2014) A new electrochemical sensor of nitro aromatic compound based on three-dimensional porous Pt–Pd nanoparticles supported by graphene–multiwalled carbon nanotube composite. Biosens Bioelectron 58:85–91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bios.2014.01.041 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhang J, Dong B, Zheng L, Li N, Li X (2008) Lyotropic liquid crystalline phases formed in ternary mixtures of 1-cetyl-3-methylimidazolium bromide/p-xylene/water: a SAXS, POM, and rheology study. J Colloid Interf Sci 321:159–165. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2008.01.020
- Zhang K, Wang HW, Wang CQ, Yang B, Ren F, Yang P, du Y (2015) Facile fabrication of PtCuAu nanoparticles modified reduced graphene oxide with high electrocatalytic activity toward formic acid oxidation. Colloid Surface A 467:211–215. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2014.11.059 CrossRefGoogle Scholar