Facile synthesis of WO3 − x nanorods with controlled dimensions and tunable near-infrared absorption
- 134 Downloads
Based on a liquid phase decomposition reaction, WO3 − x nanorods with different dimensions were synthesized by varying the organic acid to amine ratio in the solvent. By manipulating the acid to amine ratio, the nanorods with the length ranging from 20 to 59 nm were synthesized. Through the deconvolution of the visible and near-infrared spectrum into localized surface plasmon resonance (LSPR) absorption and small polaron hopping absorption, it was revealed that the latter dominated as the length of WO3 − x nanorods increased. The nanorods with tunable optical absorption characteristic were applied in solar control PVB films which showed improved near-infrared (NIR) shielding performance.
KeywordsWO3 − x Nanorod Localized surface plasmon resonance Near-infrared shielding Solar control film Optics
This work is supported by the Guangzhou Science Technology and Innovation Commission (Grant no. 201704030090).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Cong S, Yuan Y, Chen Z, Hou J, Yang M, Su Y, Zhang Y, Li L, Li Q, Geng F, Zhao Z (2015) Noble metal-comparable SERS enhancement from semiconducting metal oxides by making oxygen vacancies. Nat Commun 6:7800 https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms8800#supplementary-information CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Guo DZ, Zhang KY, Gloter A, Zhang GM, Xue ZQ (2004) Synthesis and characterization of tungsten oxide nanorods. J Mater Res 19:3665–3670 https://www.cambridge.org/core/article/synthesis-and-characterization-of-tungsten-oxide-nanorods/7EDB083C8D7228B33C32736D63F27B29 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kanu SS, Binions R (2010) Thin films for solar control applications. Proc R Soc A 466:19–44 http://rspa.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/royprsa/466/2113/19.full.pdf CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kashiwagi Y, Yamamoto M, Nakamoto M (2006) Facile size-regulated synthesis of silver nanoparticles by controlled thermolysis of silver alkylcarboxylates in the presence of alkylamines with different chain lengths. J Colloid Interface Sci 300:169–175 http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S002197970600230X CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Liu B, Yin S, Wu X, Wang Y, Huang Y, Wu J, Sekino T, Matsushita J, Lee SW, Kobayashi M, Kakihana M, Sato T (2015a) Graphene/MxWO3 (M=Na, K) nanohybrids with excellent electrical properties. Carbon 94:309–316 http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0008622315300208 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lu DY, Chen J, Deng SZ, Xu NS, Zhang WH (2011) The most powerful tool for the structural analysis of tungsten suboxide nanowires: Raman spectroscopy. J Mater Res 23:402–408 https://www.cambridge.org/core/article/most-powerful-tool-for-the-structural-analysis-of-tungsten-suboxide-nanowires-raman-spectroscopy/54B2F6CA7172FF511CADC078C9DF6296 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- More AJ, Patil RS, Dalavi DS, Suryawanshi MP, Burungale VV, Kim JH, Patil PS (2017) Synthesis and characterization of potentiostatically electrodeposited tungsten oxide thin films for smart window application. J Electron Mater 46:974–981. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11664-016-4973-8 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mortimer RJ (2011) Electrochromic materials. Annu Rev Mater Res 41:241–268 http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev-matsci-062910-100344 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Niklasson GA, Klasson J, Olsson E (2001) Polaron absorption in tungsten oxide nanoparticle aggregates. Electrochim Acta 46:1967–1971 http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0013468601003887 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pasquini C (2003) Near infrared spectroscopy: fundamentals, practical aspects and analytical applications. J Brazil Chem Soc 14:198–219 http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0103-50532003000200006&nrm=iso CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Shamsi J, Dang Z, Bianchini P, Canale C, Di Stasio F, Brescia R, Prato M, Manna L (2016) Colloidal synthesis of quantum confined single crystal CsPbBr3 nanosheets with lateral size control up to the micrometer range. J Am Chem Soc 138:7240–7243. https://doi.org/10.1021/jacs.6b03166 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang Q, Li C, Xu W, Zhao X, Zhu J, Jiang H, Kang L, Zhao Z (2017) Effects of Mo-doping on microstructure and near-infrared shielding performance of hydrothermally prepared tungsten bronzes. Appl Surf Sci 399:41–47 http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0169433216327234 CrossRefGoogle Scholar