Enhancement of antibacterial effect of quaternary ammonium with inorganic nanosheets against Enterobacter cloacae
- 78 Downloads
To suppress nosocomial infections, numerous studies of quaternary ammonium cations (R4N+) to improve the antibiotic properties have been investigated. However, most of them reported developments of novel organic or polymeric materials with R4N+. To pioneer antibacterial inorganic materials hybridized with R4N+, a colloidal solution of metal oxide nanosheets, which have a small particle size (typically less than 10 nm), is considered to be a suitable option because oxide nanosheets with a negative surface charge strongly interact R4N+. Herein, we demonstrate for the first time that the high antibacterial/bactericidal effects of titanate nanosheets (TNS) adsorbing tetramethylammonium (TMA-TNS) or tetrabultylammonium ions (TBA-TNS). Their antibacterial effects against Enterobacter cloacae were evaluated using a colony forming unit (CFU) counting method. The results showed that the synthesized TNS composites had superior antibacterial and bactericidal effects to those of free R4N+ and TBA-TNS exhibited the strongest effect (69% CFU reduction compared with that of free TBA+ and 98% CFU reduction compared with the control) among the samples examined. Dark incubation was employed to ensure that photocatalytic reaction of semiconducting TNS did not contribute to the process. Compared with TiO2 spherical particles, such high bactericidal effect would be induced by a synergistic function of TBA+ and TNS, which physically damages bacteria due to long hydrophobic alkyl chains and an anisotropic nanocrystalline structure with sharp edges, respectively.
KeywordsTitanate nanosheets Quaternary ammonium compounds Enterobacter cloacae Antibacterial Bactericidal Colloids
The authors would like to thank Yuki Nakatsu (Faculty of Engineering, Nagasaki University) for his technical assistance.
The present work was partly supported by Research Fellow of Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), KAKENHI Grant No. 26410244 and 16J10617.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Chanawanno K, Chantrapromma S, Anantapong T, Kanjana-Opas A, Fun H (2010) Synthesis, structure and in vitro antibacterial activities of new hybrid disinfectants quaternary ammonium compounds: Pyridinium and quinolinium stilbene benzenesulfonates. Eur J Med Chem 45:4199–4208. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmech.2010.06.014 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Davin-Regli A, Pagès J (2015) Enterobacter aerogenes and Enterobacter cloacae; versatile bacterial pathogens confronting antibiotic treatment. Front Microbiol 6. https://doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2015.00392
- Jiao Y, Niu L, Ma S, Li J, Tay FR, Chen J (2017) Quaternary ammonium-based biomedical materials: state-of-the-art, toxicological aspects and antimicrobial resistance. Prog Polym Sci 71:53–90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.progpolymsci.2017.03.001 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kamada K, Soh N (2014) Temperature-controlled reversible exfoliation-stacking of Titanate Nanosheets in an aqueous solution containing Tetraalkylammonium ions. RSC Adv 4. https://doi.org/10.1039/C3RA47233G
- Kubacka A, Diez MS, Rojo D, Bargiela R, Ciordia S, Zapico I, Albar JP, Barbas C, Martins Dos Santos VAP, Fernández-García M, Ferrer M (2014) Understanding the antimicrobial mechanism of TiO2-based nanocomposite films in a pathogenic bacterium. Sci Rep 4. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep04134
- Maeda T, Manabe Y, Yamamoto M, Yoshida M, Okazaki K, Nagamune H, Kourai H (1999) Synthesis and antimicrobial characteristics of novel biocides, 4,4-(1,6-Hexamethylenedioxydicarbonyl)bis(1-alkylpyridinium iodide)s. Chem Pharm Bull. https://doi.org/10.1248/cpb.47.1020
- Muramatsu M, Akatsuka K, Ebina Y, Wang K, Sasaki T, Ishida T, Miyake K, Haga M (2005) Fabrication of densely packed Titania Nanosheet films on solid surface by use of Langmuir−Blodgett deposition method without amphiphilic additives. Langmuir 21:6590–6595. https://doi.org/10.1021/la050293f CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pfaller MA, Bassetti M, Duncan LR, Castanheira M (2017) Ceftolozane/tazobactam activity against drug-resistant Enterobacteriaceae and Pseudomonas aeruginosa causing urinary tract and intraabdominal infections in Europe: report from an antimicrobial surveillance programme (2012–15). J Antimicrob Chemother 72:1386–1395. https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/dkx009 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pfaller MA, Shortridge D, Sader HS, Castanheira M, Flamm RK (2018) Ceftolozane/tazobactam activity against drug-resistant Enterobacteriaceae and Pseudomonas aeruginosa causing healthcare-associated infections in the Asia-Pacific region (minus China, Australia and New Zealand): report from an antimicrobial surveillance Programme (2013–2015). Int J Antimicrob Agents 51:181–189. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2017.09.016 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Poorabbas B, Mardaneh J, Rezaei Z, Kalani M, Pouladfar G, Alami MH, Soltani J, Shamsi-Zadeh A, Abdoli-Oskooi S, Saffar MJ, Alborzi A (2015) Nosocomial infections: multicenter surveillance of antimicrobial resistance profile of Staphylococcus aureus and gram negative rods isolated from blood and other sterile body fluids in Iran. Iran J Microbiol 7(3):127–135Google Scholar
- Shtyrlin NV, Sapozhnikov SV, Galiullina AS, Kayumov AR, Bondar OV, Mirchink EP, Isakova EB, Firsov AA, Balakin KV, Shtyrlin YG (2016) Synthesis and antibacterial activity of quaternary ammonium 4-Deoxypyridoxine derivatives. Biomed Res Int 2016:1–8. https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/3864193 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Souza AOD, Galetti FCS, Silva CL, Bicalho B, Parma MM, Fonseca SF, Marsaioli AJ, Trindade ACLB, Gil RPF, Bezerra FS, Andrade-Neto M, Oliveira MCF (2007) Antimycobacterial and cytotoxicity activity of synthetic and natural compounds. Quim Nova 30. https://doi.org/10.1590/s0100-40422007000700012
- Zalacain M, Biedenbach DJ, Badal RE, Young K, Motyl M, Sahm DF (2016) Pathogen prevalence and antimicrobial susceptibility among Enterobacteriaceae causing hospital-associated intra-abdominal infections in adults in the United States (2012–2013). Clin Ther 38:1510–1521. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinthera.2016.04.035 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhang Y, Zhou Z, Chen M (2018) The length of hydrophobic chain in amphiphilic polypeptides regulates the efficiency of gene delivery. Polymer 10. https://doi.org/10.3390/polym10040379