Effect of detonation nanodiamond surface composition on physiological indicators of mitochondrial functions
- 70 Downloads
For the first time, an effect of detonation nanodiamonds (NDs) with different surface compositions on the main functional characteristics of isolated rat liver mitochondria was studied. The response of membrane potential, calcium retention capacity, and redox state of pyridine nucleotides have been monitored upon the administration of NDs functionalized with carboxyl, hydroxyl, amine, hydrogen, and chlorine surface groups. Hydrogenated and chlorinated NDs caused reduction of the membrane potential and calcium retention capacity of mitochondria. An aminated ND caused an even greater decrease in calcium retention capacity (at a concentration of 0.75 mg/ml), reducing it to 65% of the control. The use of cyclosporine A prevented a decrease in membrane potential and calcium retention capacity indicating the induction of non-specific mitochondrial membrane pores during the NDs incubation with mitochondria. Hydrogenated and chlorinated NDs had no significant effect on the redox state of mitochondrial pyridine nucleotides. Other NDs studied had no effects on functional characteristics of mitochondria, even at high concentrations (up to 1.5 mg/ml). High activity of chlorinated and hydrogenated NDs may be due to the greater hydrophobicity of their surface and its interaction with mitochondrial pores components. Thus, isolated rat liver mitochondria can be used as a biomodel for initial testing of ND samples to assess the possibility of their use in drug delivery systems.
KeywordsNanodiamonds Functionalization of nanodiamonds Rat liver mitochondria Membrane potential Calcium retention capacity Pyridine nucleotides redox state Biomedical applications Drug delivery
The authors thank Prof. GV Lisichkin (Lomonosov Moscow State University) and Pharm. D. NG Seleznev (RyazGMU named after Pavlov).
This work was supported by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (grants №13-08-00647, 14-03-00423), using equipment purchased from the funds of the Moscow University Development Program.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Balogh PL (ed) (2017) Nanomedicine in cancer. New York: Pan Stanford. ISBN 978-1-315-11436-1 (eBook)Google Scholar
- Chen LB (1988) Mitochondrial membrane potential in living cells. Ann Rev Cell Biol 4:155–181. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.cb.04.110188.001103 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Denisov SA, Sokolina GA, Spitsyn BV (2010) Effects of amination and adsorption of ammonia on the electrical conductivity of the detonation nanodiamond powders. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering IOP Publishing 16(1):012005. https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/16/1/012005
- Fedotcheva NI, Teplova VV, Fedotcheva TA, Rzheznikov VM, Shimanovskii NL (2009) Effect of progesterone and its synthetic analogues on the activity of mitochondrial permeability transition pore in isolated rat liver mitochondria. Biochem Pharmacol 78:1060–1068. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcp.2009.05.028 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fresta CG, Chakraborty A, Wijesinghe MB, Amorini AM, Lazzarino G, Lazzarino G, Tavazzi B, Lunte SM, Caraci F, Dhar P, Caruso G (2018) Non-toxic engineered carbon nanodiamond concentrations induce oxidative/nitrosative stress, imbalance of energy metabolism, and mitochondrial dysfunction in microglial and alveolar basal epithelial cells. Cell Death Dis 9:245. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41419-018-0280-z CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gornall AG, Bardawill CJ, David MM (1949) Determination of serum proteins by means of the biuret reaction. J Biol Chem 177:751–766Google Scholar
- Guo C, Wang J, Jing L, Ma R, Liu X, Gao L, Cao L, Duan J, Zhou X, Li Y, Sun Z (2018) Mitochondrial dysfunction, perturbations of mitochondrial dynamics and biogenesis involved in endothelial injury induced by silica nanoparticles. Environ Pollut 236:926–936. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2017.10.060 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jakovlev RJ (2013) Nano-diamond conjugate with glycine and method for producing said conjugate. EP 2662080,Google Scholar
- Jakovlev RJ, Leonidov NB, Gubanok AI. (2013) Antibacterial agent and method for preparing it. RU Pat 2476215.Google Scholar
- Jakovlev RJ, Rodina EV, Valueva AV, Vorob'eva NN, Lisichkin GV, Leonidov NB (2015) Conjugate of nanodiamond with pyrophosphatase and method of obtaining thereof. RU Pat 2542411.Google Scholar
- Kamo N, Muratsugu M, Hongoh R, Kobatake Y (1979) Membrane potential of mitochondria measured with an electrode sensitive to tetraphenyl phosphonium and relationship between proton electrochemical potential and phosphorylation potential in steady state. J Membr Biol 49(2):105–121. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01868720 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Keremidarska M, Ganeva A, Mitev D, Hikov T, Presker R, Pramatarova L, Krasteva N (2014) Comparative study of cytotoxicity of detonation nanodiamond particles with an osteosarcoma cell line and primary mesenchymal stem cells. Biotechnol Biotechnol Equip 28(4):733–739. https://doi.org/10.1080/13102818.2014.947704 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Leonidov NB, Jakovlev RJ, Kulakova IV, Lisichkin GV (2014a) Antihypooxant and method for preparing it. RU Pat 2506074Google Scholar
- Leonidov NB, Jakovlev RJ, Kulakova IV, Lisichkin GV (2014b) Anxiolytic and method for preparing it. RU Pat 2519755Google Scholar
- Leonidov NB, Jakovlev RJ, Lisichkin GV (2014c) Antipsychotic agent and method for preparing it. RU Pat 2519761Google Scholar
- Leonidov NB, Jakovlev RJ, Lisichkin GV (2014d) Agent with anti-stroke action and method for preparing it. RU Pat 2521404Google Scholar
- Leonidov NB, Jakovlev RJ, Solomatin AS, Lisichkin GV (2014e) Antidepressant drug and method for preparing it. RU Pat 2519759Google Scholar
- Naserzadeh P, Esfeh FA, Kaviani M, Ashtari K, Kheirbakhsh R, Salimi A, Pourahmad J (2018) Single-walled carbon nanotube, multi-walled carbon nanotube and Fe2O3 nanoparticles induced mitochondria mediated apoptosis in melanoma cells. Cutan Ocul Toxicol 37(2):157–166. https://doi.org/10.1080/15569527.2017.1363227 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pathak Y, Thassu D. (eds.) (2016). Drug delivery nanoparticles formulation and characterization (Vol. 191). CRC PressGoogle Scholar
- Shenderova OA, Gruen DM (eds.) (2006) Ultrananocrystalline diamond: synthesis, properties, and applications. New York: William Andrew Publ. NorwichGoogle Scholar
- Solomatin AS, Yakovlev RY, Fedotcheva NI, Kondrachova MN, Leonidov NB (2013) Method of determining biological inequivalence of nanodiamonds. RU Pat 2538611Google Scholar
- Yakovlev RY, Osipova OS, Solomatin AS, Kulakova II, Muravyova GP, Avramenko NV, Leonidov NB, Lisichkin GV (2015) An approach to unification of the physicochemical properties of commercial detonation nanodiamonds. Russ J Gen Chem 85(6):1565–1574. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1070363215060365 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhang X, Hu W, Li J, Tao L, Wei Y (2012) A comparative study of cellular uptake and cytotoxicity of multi-walled carbon nanotubes, graphene oxide, and nanodiamond. Toxicol Res 1:62–68. https://doi.org/10.1039/C2TX20006F