Confeito-like Au/TiO2 nanocomposite: synthesis and plasmon-induced photocatalysis
- 88 Downloads
Nanocomposites of confeito-like Au nanoparticles (CAuNPs) and TiO2 were synthesized under different irradiation conditions (darkness, UV light, and visible light) and time spans by the reaction of a Ti-citrate-peroxo complex with CAuNPs. The TiO2 synthesized under irradiation formed mesoporous films with embedded CAuNPs. The photocatalytic activity of the CAuNP/TiO2 nanocomposites was measured by the degradation of methylene blue (MB) under different irradiation conditions (darkness, UV light, and visible light). The results demonstrated that the bare CAuNPs decomposed MB under visible light and that this activity was enhanced by hybridization with TiO2. The activity of the CAuNPs was associated with the plasmon-induced effect, which the TiO2 enhanced by suppressing electron-hole recombination via acceptance of the hot electrons from the CAuNPs. This synergistic effect of the CAuNP/TiO2 nanocomposite varied with the amount of TiO2, and a thick layer of TiO2 decreased the activity as the surface of the CAuNPs was covered by TiO2. This behavior indicates that to design effective plasmonic devices and catalysts, an optimum balance between the amounts of CAuNPs and TiO2 must be achieved.
KeywordsGold nanoparticle Titanium dioxide Citrate-peroxo complex Localized surface plasmon Photocatalyst
Confeito-like Au nanoparticle
High-resolution transmission electron microscopy
Scanning electron microscopy
Transmission electron microscopy
This study was funded by the Ministry of Science and Technology, Taiwan (106-2221-E-011-164-).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Reddy KR, Lee K-P, Gopalan AI, Kim MS, Showkat AM, Nho YC (2006) Synthesis of metal (Fe or Pd)/alloy (Fe–Pd)-nanoparticles-embedded multiwall carbon nanotube/sulfonated polyaniline composites by γ irradiation. J Polym Sci A Polym Chem 44:3355–3364. https://doi.org/10.1002/pola.21451 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Reddy R, Lee K-S, Iyenger Gopalan A (2007) Self-assembly directed synthesis of poly (ortho-toluidine)-metal (gold and palladium) composite nanospheres 7. doi: https://doi.org/10.1166/jnn.2007.692
- Reddy R, Nakata K, Ochiai T, Murakami T, Tryk D, Fujishima A (2011) Facile fabrication and photocatalytic application of Ag nanoparticles-TiO2 nanofiber composites vol 11. doi: https://doi.org/10.1166/jnn.2011.3805
- Shown I, Ujihara M, Imae T (2011) Synthesis of β-cyclodextrin-modified water-dispersible Ag-TiO2 core–shell nanoparticles and their photocatalytic activity vol 11. doi: https://doi.org/10.1166/jnn.2011.3764
- Ujihara M, Dang MN, Imae T (2017) Surface-enhanced resonance Raman scattering of rhodamine 6G in dispersions and on films of confeito-like au nanoparticles. Sensors 17. https://doi.org/10.3390/s17112563