R-Lambda model based CTU-level rate control for intra frames in HEVC
- 352 Downloads
In High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC), the coding efficiency of intra frames is much lower than inter frames. If the bits allocated to intra frames are not sufficient to improve their quality, the quality fluctuation between intra frames and their neighboring inter frames will appear. But if too many bits are allocated to intra frames, the other frames may get bits starvation, which will cause quality degradation of some other frames. We propose an R-Lambda model based CTU-level rate control to improve the reconstructed quality of intra frames with fewer bits. CTUs in intra frame are classified into three regions according to their motion vectors and complexity. The bits allocated to CTUs belong to different regions will be adjusted and the R-lambda model will be used to calculate the QPs. Experimental results demonstrate that the proposed rate control can efficiently reduce the bits cost by intra frames and suppress the quality fluctuation between intra frames and others when compared to the rate control by R-lambda model adopted in HM10.0.
KeywordsHEVC CTU-level rate control Motion vector Bit allocation
This work was partially supported by the National Natural Science Funds of China (Grant No. 61502277) and the Natural Science Funds of Shandong Province (Grant No. ZR2015FL017).
- 2.Choi H, Nam J, Yoo J, Sim D, Bajic I (2012) Rate control based on unified RQ model for HEVC. JCTVC-H0213, JCTVC of ISO/IEC and ITU-T, 8th meeting CA, USAGoogle Scholar
- 6.Kim I, McCann K, Sugimoto K, Bross B, Han W (2012) HM9: High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) Test Model 9 Encoder Description. JCTVC-K1002, JCTVC of ISO/IEC and ITU-T, Shanghai, ChinaGoogle Scholar
- 8.Li B, Li H, Li L, Zhang J (2012) Rate control by R-lambda model for HEVC. JCTVC-K0103, JCTVC of ISO/IEC and ITU-T, 11th meeting Shanghai, ChinaGoogle Scholar
- 9.Li B, Li HQ, Li L, Zhang JL (2014) λ domain rate control algorithm for high efficiency video coding. IEEE Trans Image Process 23(9):3841–3854Google Scholar
- 12.McCann K, Bross B, Han W, Kim I, Sugimoto K, Sulivan G (2013) High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) Test Model 10 (HM10) Encoder Description. JCTVC-L1002, JCTVC of ISO/IEC and ITU-T, 12th Meeting, Geneva, CHGoogle Scholar
- 13.Park S, Park J, Jeon B (2011) Report on the evaluation of HM versus JM. JCTVC-D181, JCTVC of ISO/IEC and ITU-T, Daegu, KoreaGoogle Scholar
- 14.Sanz-Rodriguez S, Schierl T (2013) A rate control algorithm for HEVC with hierarchical GOP structures. IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, pp 1719-1723Google Scholar
- 19.Si J, Ma S, Gao W (2013) Efficient bit allocation and CTU level rate control for high efficiency video coding. Picture Coding Symposium, pp 89–92Google Scholar
- 21.Tian L, Zhou Y, Cao X (2014) A new rate-complexity-QP algorithm (RCQA) for HEVC intra-picture rate control. IEEE Internatianal Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications, Multimedia Computing and Communicaitons SymposiumGoogle Scholar
- 23.Wang P, Zhang Y, Hu H-m, Li B. Region-classification-based flicker suppression algorithm of I-frames in HEVC. International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP 2013), 2013.9Google Scholar
- 27.Zhou Y, Tian L, Ning X (2013) Intra frame constant rate control scheme for high efficiency video coding. IEEE Internatianal Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications, Multimedia Computing and Communicaitons SymposiumGoogle Scholar