Effect of Nanosize Tungsten Powder on the Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Silumins
- 11 Downloads
The microstructure and mechanical properties of alloys of the Al – Si system modified with nanosize tungsten powder in an amount of 0.01 – 0.5 wt.% during casting are studied. The phase composition, the sizes, and the localization of phases in the microstructure of the initial and modified Al – Si alloys are investigated by the methods of optical, scanning, and transmission electron microscopy. The ultimate strength, the elongation, and the impact toughness of the Al – Si alloys are determined before and after modification with nanosize tungsten powder.
Key wordsAl – Si alloys modification tungsten nanopowder microstructure iron-containing phases ultimate strength elongation impact toughness
The work has been performed with financial support of the Russian Foundation for Basic Research within scientific project No. 16-38-6014mol a dk.
- 3.A. T. Volochko, “Modification of eutectic and primary silicon particles in silumins,” Lit’e Metall., 81(4), 38 – 45 (2015).Google Scholar
- 11.I. S. El-Mahallawi, A. Y. Shash, and A. E. Amer, “Nanoreinforced cast Al – Si alloys with Al2O3, TiO2 and ZrO2 nanoparticles,” Metals, No. 5, 802 – 821 (2015).Google Scholar
- 12.I. A. Petrov, A. P. Ryakhovskii, V. S. Moiseev, et al., “Prospects of application of carbon-containing material for treating silumins,” Liteishch. Rossii, No. 1, 28 – 32 (2016).Google Scholar
- 13.A. P. Zykova, L. A. Kazantseva, and I. A. Kuzina, “The effect of ultrafine powders on the structural formation processes and mechanical properties of Al – 7% Si alloy,” in: AIP Conf. Proc. (2016), Vol 1771, p. 030020.Google Scholar
- 15.Irizalp S. Gencalp and N. Saklakoglu, “Effect of Fe-rich intermetallics on the microstructure and mechanical properties of thixoformed A380 aluminum alloy,” Eng. Sci. Technol., 17, 58 – 62 (2014).Google Scholar
- 20.L. M. Sorokin, L. P. Efimenko, A. E. Kalmykov, and Yu. I. Smolin, “Electron-microscope investigation of surface layer of aluminum-silicon alloy after laser alloying with tungsten carbide,” Fiz. Tverd. Tela, 46(5), 953 – 958 (2004).Google Scholar
- 21.L. F. Mondolfo, Structure and Properties of Aluminum Alloys [Russian translation], Metallurgiya, Moscow (1979), 640 p.Google Scholar