Opportunistic Energy Cooperation Mechanism for Large Internet of Things
- 20 Downloads
The limited capacity of battery power becomes one of the major constraints in the applications of Internet of things (IoT). Ambient energy harvesting technologies and wireless energy transfer technologies have appeared to resolve the energy supply problem, making it possible for the sensor nodes to operate perpetually. In this paper, we focus on energy efficiency maximization and network throughput optimization problems for energy cooperation in Energy Harvesting Cooperative Wireless Sensor Networks (EHC-WSNs). In order to maximize the efficiency of energy charging phase, a Region-based Proactive Energy Cooperation (RPEC) charging strategy is developed, which is used to charge the life-critical cooperators or receivers in time. By introducing a novel metric that converts optimal forwarder selection from the multi-dimensional problem to one-dimensional problem, an Energy-Neutral-based Opportunistic Cooperative Routing (ENOCR) algorithm is proposed to optimize the relay nodes selection and improve the network throughput. Extensive simulations show that the proposed Opportunistic Energy Cooperation Mechanism (OECM) can significantly improve energy efficiency and network lifetime.
KeywordsEnergy efficiency Energy-neutral operation Opportunistic energy cooperation Energy harvesting cooperative WSNs
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (61672220), key technology research and development plan of Hunan (2017GK2030).
- 8.Chalasani S, Conrad JM (2008) A survey of energy harvesting sources for embedded systems. In: Southeastcon, pp 442–447Google Scholar
- 10.Tong B, Zi L i, Wang G, Zhang W (2010) How wireless power charging technology affects sensor network deployment and routing. In: IEEE international conference on distributed computing systems, pp 438–447Google Scholar
- 11.Guo S, He C, Yang Y (2015) Resall: Energy efficiency maximization for wireless energy harvesting sensor networks. In: IEEE international conference on sensing, communication, and networking, pp 64–72Google Scholar
- 21.Peng Y, Li Z, Zhang W, Qiao D (2010) Prolonging sensor network lifetime through wireless charging. In: Real-time systems symposium, pp 129–139Google Scholar
- 25.Wang X, Zhang S (2009) Research on efficient coverage problem of node in wireless sensor networks. In: International symposium on electronic commerce and security, vol 2, pp 532–536Google Scholar
- 26.Ishibashi K, Ochiai H, Tarokh V (2012) Energy harvesting cooperative communications. In: IEEE international symposium on personal indoor and mobile radio communications, pp 1819–1823Google Scholar
- 28.NREL solar radiation research laboratory. http://www.nrel.gov/midc/