Generation of single-chain Fv antibody fragments against Mu-2-related death-inducing gene in Escherichia coli
- 109 Downloads
Mu-2-related death-inducing (MuD) gene is involved in apoptosis in tumor cells. Although we have previously produced mouse monoclonal antibodies (MAbs) that specifically recognize human MuD, the application scope of MuD MAbs was restricted due to their mouse origin. Therefore, we attempted the generation of single-chain variable fragment (scFv) against MuD. The heavy- and light-chain variable region genes from two MuD hybridomas were isolated by PCR and joined by DNA encoding a (Gly4Ser1)3 linker. These scFv fragments were cloned into a phagemid vector and expressed as E-tagged fusion proteins in Escherichia coli HB2151. The reactivity of selected Abs was evaluated using ELISA. Selected MuDscFv Abs specifically recognized human MuD, retaining ~ 50% potency of the parent MAbs. MuDscFv-M3H9 recognized the middle region of MuD, while MuDscFv-C22B3 recognized a broad region. Intracellular expression of MuDscFvs-C22B3 protected cells from TRAIL-induced apoptosis. These MuDscFv Abs may help in the study of intracellular signaling pathway centered on MuD and of drug use target and points.
KeywordsMu-2-related death-inducing gene Antibody engineering E. coli expression Single-chain variable fragment antibody Apoptosis
This research was supported by the Basic Science Research Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) funded by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (NRF-2014R1A1A2056388 and NRF-2016R1D1A1B03935382).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 3.Present DH, Rutgeerts P, Targan S, Hanauer SB, Mayer L, van Hogezand RA, Podolsky DK, Sands BE, Braakman T, DeWoody KL, Schaible TF, van Deventer SJ (1999) Infliximab for the treatment of fistulas in patients with Crohn’s disease. N Engl J Med 340(18):1398–1405. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199905063401804 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Huston JS, Levinson D, Mudgett-Hunter M, Tai MS, Novotny J, Margolies MN, Ridge RJ, Bruccoleri RE, Haber E, Crea R et al (1988) Protein engineering of antibody binding sites: recovery of specific activity in an anti-digoxin single-chain Fv analogue produced in Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 85(16):5879–5883. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.85.16.5879 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Kunik V, Ashkenazi S, Ofran Y (2012) Paratome: an online tool for systematic identification of antigen-binding regions in antibodies based on sequence or structure. Nucleic Acids Res 40(Web Server issue):W521–W524. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/gks480
- 13.Zemlin M, Klinger M, Link J, Zemlin C, Bauer K, Engler JA, Schroeder HW Jr, Kirkham PM (2003) Expressed murine and human CDR-H3 intervals of equal length exhibit distinct repertoires that differ in their amino acid composition and predicted range of structures. J Mol Biol 334(4):733–749. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmb.2003.10.007 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Liu A, Ye Y, Chen W, Wang X, Chen F (2015) Expression of V(H)-linker-V(L) orientation-dependent single-chain Fv antibody fragment derived from hybridoma 2E6 against aflatoxin B1 in Escherichia coli. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 42(2):255–262. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10295-014-1570-9 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Rutgeerts P, Sandborn WJ, Feagan BG, Reinisch W, Olson A, Johanns J, Travers S, Rachmilewitz D, Hanauer SB, Lichtenstein GR, de Villiers WJ, Present D, Sands BE, Colombel JF (2005) Infliximab for induction and maintenance therapy for ulcerative colitis. N Engl J Med 353(23):2462–2476. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa050516 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Haritoglou C, Kook D, Neubauer A, Wolf A, Priglinger S, Strauss R, Gandorfer A, Ulbig M, Kampik A (2006) Intravitreal bevacizumab (Avastin) therapy for persistent diffuse diabetic macular edema. Retina 26(9):999–1005. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.iae.0000247165.38655.bf CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Ortholan C, Durivault J, Hannoun-Levi JM, Guyot M, Bourcier C, Ambrosetti D, Safe S, Pages G (2010) Bevacizumab/docetaxel association is more efficient than docetaxel alone in reducing breast and prostate cancer cell growth: a new paradigm for understanding the therapeutic effect of combined treatment. Eur J Cancer 46(16):3022–3036. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2010.07.021 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 21.Lovell DJ, Ruperto N, Goodman S, Reiff A, Jung L, Jarosova K, Nemcova D, Mouy R, Sandborg C, Bohnsack J, Elewaut D, Foeldvari I, Gerloni V, Rovensky J, Minden K, Vehe RK, Weiner LW, Horneff G, Huppertz HI, Olson NY, Medich JR, Carcereri-De-Prati R, McIlraith MJ, Giannini EH, Martini A, Pediatric Rheumatology Collaborative Study Group, Pediatric Rheumatology International Trials Organization (2008) Adalimumab with or without methotrexate in juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. N Engl J Med 359(8):810–820. https://doi.org/10.1056/nejmoa0706290
- 23.Wang Q, Fan H, Liu Y, Yin Z, Cai H, Liu J, Wang Z, Shao M, Sun X, Diao J, Liu Y, Tong L, Fan Q (2014) Curcumin enhances the radiosensitivity in nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells involving the reversal of differentially expressed long non-coding RNAs. Int J Oncol 44(3):858–864. https://doi.org/10.3892/ijo.2013.2237 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar