CD147 as an apoptosis regulator in spermatogenesis: deciphering its association with matrix metalloproteinases’ pathway
- 53 Downloads
CD147 plays an important role in germ cells migration and survival/apoptosis during the spermatogenesis process. However, to best of our knowledge, there is no report on the exact role of CD147 gene in the regulation of germ cells apoptosis through matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs). So, the current study aims to evaluate the role of CD147 gene expression in the regulation of germ cells apoptosis in conjunction with MMPs. Real-Time PCR was applied to investigate the expression of CD147, MMP2, MMP7, and MMP9 genes in the azoospermic patients and fertile males. Receiver-operating characteristic curve was used to interpret gene expression data. According to our results, a significant decrease in the expression of CD147 gene and an increase in MMPs genes expression were observed in infertile patients compared to fertile males. These results proved this fact that the CD147 gene has an important role in the regulation of germ cells apoptosis via a MMPs-dependent pathway.
KeywordsCD147 MMPs Apoptosis Spermatogenesis Infertility
We would like to thank Dr. Hossein Abdi, and Farzaneh Esmailli for their excellent technical help.
This study has been supported financially by a Grant (96689) from the Vice Chancellor for Research of Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences in Iran.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
There is no conflict of interest to disclose and the manuscript was not published previously. All authors have read the manuscript and approved the final version.
The present study has been approved by the Ethics Committee of the Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences. A signed consent form was obtained from all participants who donated testis tissue samples.
- 2.Makker K, Agarwal A, Sharma R (2009) Oxidative stress & male infertility. Indian J Med Res 129:357–368Google Scholar
- 5.Roshankhah S, Mansouri K, Bakhtiari M, Salahshoor MR, Asgari R (2018) Synergistic effects of TIMP2-418G/C and MMP9-1562C/T variants on the male infertility risk. Mol Biol Rep 4:1–6Google Scholar
- 6.Razvi K, Chew S, Yong E, Kumar J, Ng S (1999) The clinical management of male infertility. Singapore Med J 40:291–297Google Scholar
- 18.Motulsky H (1999) Analyzing data with GraphPad Prism. GraphPad Software Inc., San DiegoGoogle Scholar
- 19.Green SB, Salkind N (2003) SPSS for windows and Macintosh: analyzing and understanding data. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle RiverGoogle Scholar
- 23.Weidle UH, Scheuer W, Eggle D, Klostermann S, Stockinger H (2010) Cancer-related issues of CD147. Cancer Genom Proteom 7:157–169Google Scholar
- 24.Wang C, Fok KL, Cai Z, Chen H, Chan HC (2017) CD147 regulates extrinsic apoptosis in spermatocytes by modulating NFκB signaling pathways. Oncotarget 8:3132Google Scholar