Study of the mechanism underlying hsa-miR338-3p downregulation to promote fibrosis of the synovial tissue in osteoarthritis patients
- 28 Downloads
Osteoarthritis (OA) is a degenerative joint disease characterized by the degradation of joint cartilage, the formation of osteophyma at joint margins, and synovial changes. Whereas lesions of the joint cartilage were the key point of the research and treatment of osteoarthritis before, a recent study showed that the synovium plays a crucial role in the pathological progress of OA. The inflammatory environment in the joints of OA patients always results in the overactivation of fibroblast-like synoviocytes (FLSs), which produce a multitude of inflammatory factors and media, not only leading to the degradation and injury of the cartilage tissue and promoting the development of osteoarthritis but also resulting in synovial fibrosis and joint stiffness. Therefore, the synovium has attracted increasing attention in the research of OA, and the study of the mechanism of activation of FLSs and the fibrosis of joint synovium may shed new light on OA treatment. By using high-throughput screening, we have identified that hsa-miR338-3p is significantly downregulated in the synovial tissue and joint effusion from OA patients. A functional study showed that overexpression of hsa-miR338-3p in the FLSs inhibited the TGF-β1-induced overactivation of the TGF-β/Smad fibrosis regulation pathway by suppressing TRAP-1 expression and thus reducing the TGF-β1-induced activation of the FLSs and the expression of vimentin and collagen I, two fibrosis markers. Meanwhile, a mechanism study also showed that the upregulation of hsa-miR338-3p reduced Smad2/3 phosphorylation by suppressing TRAP-1 and thus inhibited the TGF-β/Smad pathway and TIMP1, a downstream protein. The present study, for the first time, illustrates the role of hsa-miR338-3p in synovial fibrosis in OA patients and the related mechanism, which is of importance to the treatment of OA and its complications by targeting the FLSs and synovial tissue. Hsa-miR338-3p not only has the potential to be a target for the gene therapy of OA but also has the potential to be a new marker for the diagnosis of clinical progression in OA patients.
KeywordsOsteoarthritis (OA) Synovium Fibrosis Hsa-miR338-3p TRAP-1
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no competing interests, and all authors should confirm its accuracy.
- 3.Monument MJ, Hart DA, Befus AD, Salo PT, Zhang M, Hildebrand KA (2010) The mast cell stabilizer ketotifen fumarate lessens contracture severity and myofibroblast hyperplasia: a study of a rabbit model of posttraumatic joint contractures. J Bone Joint Surg Am 92(6):1468–1477CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 9.Hao J, Ju H, Zhao S, Junaid A, Scammell-La Fleur T, Dixon IM (1999) Elevation of expression of Smads 2, 3, and 4, decorin and TGF-beta in the chronic phase of myocardial infarct scar healing. J Mol Cell Cardiol 31(3):667–678Google Scholar
- 11.Goto Y, Manabe N, Uchio-Yamada K, Yamaguchi-Yamada M, Inoue N, Yamamoto Y, Ogura A, Nagano N, Miyamoto H(2004)Augmented cytoplasmic Smad4 induces acceleration of TGF-beta1 signaling in renal tubulointerstitial cells of hereditary nephrotic ICGN mice with chronic renal fibrosis; possible role for myofibroblastic differentiation. Cell Tissue Res 315 (2): 209–221Google Scholar
- 22.Jin-yu Zhu, Man Shi, Wei Zhang (2010) Screening of differentially expressed genes associated with synovium in knee osteoarthritis by high density cDNA microarrays. Guo Ji Gu Ke Xue Za Zhi 31(6):384–386Google Scholar
- 23.Ding XN, Yuan JH, Cheng AP (2010) MRI imaging of the synovium changes in knee joints with degenerative osteoarthrosis. Zhongguo Lin Chuang Yi Xue Ying Xiang Za Zhi 21(1):31–33Google Scholar
- 24.Bai L, Kong R, Li Y, Wang Y (2009) Immunohistochemical expression and significance of matrix metalloproteinase-7, matrix metalloproteinase-9, tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-3 in osteoarthritis patients’ synovium of knee joint. Zhongguo Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao 38(4):284–285Google Scholar
- 25.Wu HK, Li RH, Zhong Y (2010) Effects of Fuyuan capsule on expression of IL-1β,MMP-13 and iNOS in synovium in experimental osteoarthritis of rabbits. Chong Qing Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao 35(7):1004–1009Google Scholar
- 27.Guo J, Zhang N, Qijia LI (2008) The correlative study on the expression metalloproteinase-13 and interleukin-6 in ostcoarthritis. J North China Coal Med Univ 10(3):297–299Google Scholar
- 28.Wang FL, Jiang JM, Xiao J (2010) The expression and significance of interleukin-18 in the synoviocyte of patients with osteoarthritis. Zhonghua Feng Shi Bing Xue Za Zhi 14(4):260–262Google Scholar