Development of 1AS.1AL-1DL durum wheat chromosome carrying Glu-D1a locus encoding high molecular weight glutenin subunits 2 + 12
High molecular weight glutenin subunits (HMW-GS) are well-known to directly influence the bread wheat quality. In a previous paper, our group reported the replacement of the locus Glu-A1 by the locus Glu-D1—allele Glu-D1a encoding the HMW-GS (2–12)—in a partial isohomoeoallelic lines of the French bread wheat variety cv. Courtot. We plan to exploit the novel translocated 1AS.1AL-1DL chromosome in durum wheat in order to develop durum lines presenting novel properties. The translocated chromosome was first introduced into durum wheat. However, as the distal translocated 1DL segment represents 25% (i.e., 84 Mb) of the recombinant 1AL length, it appeared worthwhile to shorten it through homoeologous recombination induced by the ph1c mutation. Two rounds of recombination were made. The shortest interstitial 1DL segment detected through SNP genotyping measured 9.19 Mb and could not be visualized by genomic in situ hybridization. Such reduced transfer not previously achieved hitherto provides regularity of the meiotic pairing and will allow the use of those subunits absent in durum wheat species for direct exploitability in breeding.
KeywordsDurum wheat High molecular weight glutenin subunit Translocation GISH
This project was supported by the CASDAR project. We thank the UMR INRA 1095 “GENTYANE platform” (Clermont-Ferrand, France, http://gentyane.clermont.inra.fr/) for the generation of genotyping data.
JJ and GB conceived and designed research. AF, JL, and VH conducted experiments. EP contributed to analytical tools. JJ, GB, and OC analyzed data. JJ and OC wrote the manuscript. All authors read and approved the manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Dumur J, Branlard G, Tanguy AM, Dardevet M, Coriton O, Huteau V, Lemoine J, Jahier J (2009) Development of isohomoeoallelic lines within the wheat cv. Courtot for high molecular weight glutenin subunits: transfer of the Glu-D1 locus to chromosome 1A. Theor Appl Genet 119:471–481CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Giorgi B (1978) A homoeologous pairing mutant isolated in Triticum durum cv. Cappelli. Mutat Breed Newsl 11:4–5Google Scholar
- IWGSC (The International Wheat Genome Sequencing Consortium) (2018) Shifting the limits in wheat research and breeding using a fully annotated reference genome. Science 361:661Google Scholar
- Joppa LR, Klindworth DL, Hareland GA (1998) Transfer of high molecular weight glutenins from spring wheat to durum wheat. In: Slinkard AE (ed) Proceedings of the Ninth International Wheat Genetic Symposium. University of Saskatchewan Ext. Press, Saskatoon, pp 257–260Google Scholar
- Rimbert H, Darrier B, Navarro J, Kitt J, Choulet F, Leveugle M, Duarte J, Rivière N, Eversole K, Le Gouis J, Davassi A, Balfourier F, Le Paslier MC, Berard A, Brunel D, Feuillet C, Poncet C, Sourdille P, Paux E (2018) High throughput SNP discovery and genotyping in hexaploid wheat. PLoS One 13(1):e0186329. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0186329 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Vitellozzi F, Ciaffi M, Dominici L, Ceoloni C (1997) Isolation of a chromosomally engineered durum wheat line carrying the common wheat Glu-D1d allele. Agronomie 17:413–419Google Scholar