Expedient synthesis of novel antibacterial hydrazono-4-thiazolidinones under catalysis of a natural-based binary ionic liquid
- 16 Downloads
A library of pyran-2H-one-3-ylmethylidene and chromene-2H-one-3-ylmethylidene derivatives of the titled heterocyclic framework was synthesized from 3-acyl-4-hydroxypyran/chromene-2H-one via sequential reaction with thiosemicarbazide and dialkyl acetylenedicarboxylates. The syntheses were carried out under efficient catalysis of a new binary ionic liquid mixture [l-prolinium chloride][1-methylimidazolium-3-sulfonate] in one pot and solvent-free conditions. Calculations based on density functional theory displayed that the barrier energy for interconversion of the two possible diastereomeric isomers of each product is less than the thermal energy of molecules at room temperature, as only one product can be resolved from a given reaction mixture. This seems to be the case for the previously reported hydrazonothiazolidines. The binary ionic liquid mixture melts at near room temperature and can be considered as a solution of HCl in 1:1 mixture of two zwitterionic species. It proved to be more efficient than its constituents in catalyzing the above synthesis in one-pot operation. Some of the synthesized products have shown pronounced antibacterial activities. The ionic liquid is virtually stable in air and moisture, as can be retrieved several times without appreciable decrease in its catalytic activity.
KeywordsThiazolidin-4-one Binary ionic liquid 4-Hydroxypyran-2H-one 4-Hydroxychromene-2H-one Homogeneous catalysis
Binary ionic liquid
Density functional theory
Support of this work by the Research Council of University of Guilan is gratefully acknowledged.
- 6.Rad-Moghadam K, Azimi SC (2012) Mg(BF4)2 doped in [BMIm][BF4]: a homogeneous ionic liquid-catalyst for efficient synthesis of 1,8-dioxo-octahydroxanthenes, decahydroacridines and 14-aryl-14H-dibenzo[a, j]xanthenes. J Mol Catal A Chem 363–364:465–469. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molcata.2012.07.026 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Khazaei A, Zolfigol MA, Moosavi-Zare AR, Afsar J, Zare A, KhakyzadehV Beyzavi MH (2013) Synthesis of hexahydroquinolines using the new ionic liquid sulfonic acid functionalized pyridinium chloride as a catalyst. Chin J Catal 34:1936–1944. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1872-2067(12)60678-0 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Ergenc N, Capan G, Günay NS, Özkirimli S, Güngör M, Özbey S, Kendi E (1999) Synthesis and hypnotic activity of new 4-thiazolidinone and 2-thioxo-4,5-imidazolidinedione derivatives. Arch Pharm 332:343–347. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1521-4184(199910)332:10%3c3C343:AID-ARDP343%3e3E3.0.CO;2-0 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Jaen JC, Wise LD, Caprathe BW, Tecle H, Bergmeier S, Humblet CC, Heffner TG, Meltzner LT, Pugsley TA (1990) 4-(1,2,5,6-Tetrahydro-1-alkyl-3-pyridinyl)-2-thiazolamines: a novel class of compounds with central dopamine agonist properties. J Med Chem 33:311–317. https://doi.org/10.1021/jm00163a051 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 44.Kumari S, Singh H, Khurana JM (2016) An efficient green approach for the synthesis of novel triazolyl spirocyclic oxindole derivatives via one-pot five component protocol using DBU as catalyst in PEG-400. Tetrahedron Lett 57:3081–3085. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tetlet.2016.05.084(And the references therein) CrossRefGoogle Scholar