A screening procedure to measure the effect of uncertainty in air emission estimates
- 57 Downloads
Emission inventories are compiled at regional level. When these sources of information are used, uncertainty of emission estimates is never considered. In this paper, we propose an initial screening to identify whether and to what extent uncertainty related to emission inventories affects quantitative analysis used to set strategies and implement actions at regional and subregional levels. We consider the regional air emission inventory of the Piedmont region in Italy. For each pollutant and each sector, uncertainty is calculated by adapting the insurance-based method. A hybrid accounting matrix is built, three environmental themes are analyzed, and a shift-share analysis is undertaken considering jointly air emission estimates and the number of employees at regional and provincial levels. The same procedure is undertaken for data processed with and without uncertainty. Based on the obtained outcomes, few comments are drawn in order to reach some general conclusion to feed discussion on the importance of integrating and prioritizing uncertainty into decision-making at subnational level.
KeywordsUncertainty Air emission inventory Hybrid environmental accounts Global warming potential Acidification Shift-share analysis
We thank the editors and three anonymous reviewers for their constructive comments, which helped us to improve the manuscript.
We thank Gianluigi Truffo (Regione Piemonte Direzione Ambiente, Sistema Informativo Ambientale) for providing the air emission data of the Piedmont Region and for his technical support.
- Charkovska N, Halushchak M, Bun R, Jonas M (2015) Uncertainty analysis of GHG spatial inventory from the industrial activity: a case study for Poland. In: Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Uncertainty in Atmospheric Emissions. Kraków, Poland. 7–9 October 2015Google Scholar
- Charkovska N, Bun R, Danylo O, Horabik-Pyzel J, Jonas M (2018) High resolution spatial distribution and associated uncertainties of greenhouse gas emissions from the agricultural sector. (This issue)Google Scholar
- De Boo A, Bosch P, Gorter CN, Keuning SJ (1993) An environmental module and the complete system of national accounts. In: Franz A, Stahmer C (eds) Approaches to environmental accounting. Physica, HeidelbergGoogle Scholar
- European Environment Agency (2013) EMEP/EEA air pollutant emission inventory guidebook 2013. Technical guidance to prepare national emission inventories 23 pp https://www eea europa eu/publications/emep-eea-guidebook-2013 Cited 8 February 2018
- European Environment Agency (2016) EMEP/EEA air pollutant emission inventory guidebook 2016. Technical guidance to prepare national emission inventories Technical report 9/2009 24 pp https://wwweeaeuropaeu/publications/emep-eea-guidebook-2016 Cited 8 February 2018
- Eurostat (2015) Manual for air emissions accounts 2015 edition. Luxembourg: http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents/3859598/7077248/KS-GQ-15-009-EN-N.pdf/ce75a7d2-4f3a-4f04-a4b1-747a6614eeb3. Cited 8 February 2018
- Halushchak M, Bun R, Jonas M, Topylko P (2015) Spatial inventory of GHG emissions from fossil fuels extraction and processing: an uncertainty analysis. In: Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Uncertainty in Atmospheric Emissions. Kraków, Poland. 7–9 October 2015Google Scholar
- IPCC—Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (2006) IPCC guidelines for national greenhouse gas inventories. Volume 1: general guidance and reporting. IPCC, GenevaGoogle Scholar
- ISTAT (2009) Contabilità Ambientale e Pressioni sull’Ambiente Naturale: dagli schemi alle realizzazioni. Annali di Statistica 138(XI). Vol 2Google Scholar
- Keuning SJ (1993) An information system for environmental indicators in relation to the national accounts. In: de Vries WFM, den Bakker GP, Gircour MBG, Keuning SJ, Lenson A (eds) The value added of national accounting statistics in the Netherlands. Voorburg, Heerlen, pp 287–305Google Scholar
- La Notte A, Dalmazzone S (2012) Feasibility and uses of the NAMEA-type framework applied at local scale: case studies in North-Western Italy. In: Costantini V, Mazzanti M, Montini A (eds) Hybrid economic-environmental accounts. Routledge studies in ecological economics. Taylor & Francis Group, LondonGoogle Scholar
- La Notte A, Tonin S, Nocera S (2015) How uncertainty of air emission inventories impacts policy decisions at sub-national level. A shift-share analysis undertaken in Piedmont (Italy). In: Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Uncertainty in Atmospheric Emissions. Kraków Poland, 7–9. October 2015Google Scholar
- Lieberman D, Jonas M, Nahorski Z, Nilsson S (eds) (2007) Accounting for climate change uncertainty in greenhouse gas inventories—verification, compliance and trading. Springer, NetherlandsGoogle Scholar
- Mazzanti M, Montini A, Zoboli R (2007) Territorial productive structure and environmental efficiency indicators through regional NAMEA data. Economia delle fonti di energia e dell'ambiente 1:1–31Google Scholar
- Topylko P, Halushchak M, Bun R, Oda T, Lesiv M, Danylo O (2015) Spatial greenhouse gas inventory and uncertainty analysis: a case study of electricity generation and fossil fuels processing. In: Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Uncertainty in Atmospheric Emissions. Kraków, Poland. 7–9 October 2015Google Scholar
- White T, Jonas M, Nahorski Z, Nilsson S (eds) (2011) Greenhouse gas inventories: dealing with uncertainty. Springer Netherlands, DordrechtGoogle Scholar