Determination of Rare-Earth Metals in Magnesium Alloys by Atomic Emission Spectrometry with Inductively Coupled Plasma
An analysis technique for the determination of rare-earth metals Ce, Er, Gd, La, Nd, Y in magnesium alloys by the method of atomic emission spectrometry with inductively coupled plasma is proposed. Analytical lines of elements free of significant spectral overlays and the internal standard line were chosen. The metrological characteristics of the technique were studied using model solutions and its accuracy was verified using standard samples of magnesium alloys containing rare-earth metals.
Keywordsanalysis technique magnesium alloys rare-earth metals atomic emission spectrometry inductively coupled plasma
The work was carried out as part of the integrated direction 2.1 “Fundamentally Oriented Research” (Strategic Directions for the Development of Materials and Technologies for Their Processing for the Period up to 2030)  and partly as part of the state assignment of IGIC RAS in the area of basic research (topic No. 44.2).
- 1.E. N. Kablov, “Materials and chemical technologies for aeronautical engineering,” Vest. RAN, 82, No 6, 520–530 (2012).Google Scholar
- 3.I. Yu. Mukhina, Z. P. Uridia, and N. V. Trofi mov, “Corrosion-resistant casting magnesium alloys,” Aviats. Mater. Tekhnol., 2, No. 47, 15–23 (2017).Google Scholar
- 5.E. N. Kablov, O. G. Ospennikova, and A. V. Vershkov, “Rare metals and rare earth elements –modern and future high-tech materials,” Aviats. Mater. Tekhnol., No. S2, 3–10 (2013).Google Scholar
- 6.I. V. Mostiayev, “REM – a factor in the qualitative improvement of properties of magnesium alloys (a review),” Trudy VIAM: Elektron. Nauch.-Tekhn. Zh., No. 7, Art. 2 (2015), DOI: https://doi.org/10.18577/2307-6046-2015-0-7-2-2.
- 7.A. V. Frolov, I. Yu. Mukhina, V. A. Duyunova, and Z. P. Uridiya, “Influence of alloying elements and structural factors on the heat resistance of magnesium alloys,” Trudy VIAM: Elektron. Nauch.-Tekhn. Zh., No. 9, Art. 7 (2015), DOI: https://doi.org/10.18577/2307-6046-2015-0-9-7-7.
- 8.Yu. A. Karpov and V. B. Baranovskaya, “Analytical control – an integral part of material diagnostics,” Zavod. Lab. Diagn. Mater., 83, No. 1, Pt. I, 5–12 (2017).Google Scholar
- 9.V. G. Garanin, “The application of the spectrometer Grand-Epert to determine the composition of metals and alloys based on magnesium, titanium and aluminum,” Zavod. Lab. Diagn. Mater., 81, No 1, Pt. 2, 79–88 (2015).Google Scholar
- 10.E. S. Koshel, V. B. Baranovskaya, and T. Yu. Gubanova, “Direct arc atomic emission analysis of yttrium, gadolinium, and neodymium oxides,” Zavod. Lab. Diagn. Mater., 81, No. 12, 8–13 (2015).Google Scholar
- 11.E. F. Volkova, I. V. Mostyaev, and V. V. Akinina, “Comparative studies of the effect of phase composition on the mechanical and technological properties of magnesium alloys MA20- SP and MA2-1,” Trudy VIAM: Elektron. Nauch.-Tekhn. Zh., 1, No. 61, 41–48 (2018), DOI: https://doi.org/10.18577/2307-6046-2018-0-1-5-5.Google Scholar
- 12.F. Czerwinski (ed.), Magnesium Alloys – Design, Processing and Properties, InTech, Croatia (2011), pp. 353–356, DOI: https://doi.org/10.5772/560.
- 13.K. U. Kainer, “Magnesium,” Magnesium Alloys and Their Applications: Proc. 6th Int. Conf., Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Germany (2004), p. 987.Google Scholar
- 15.Yu. A. Karpov, Analytical Control of Metallurgical Production, Metallurgiya, Moscow (1995), pp. 97–107.Google Scholar
- 16.N. Velitchkova, P. Petrova, S. Velichkov, and N. Daskalova, “Inductively coupled plasma optical emission spectrometry– determination of rare earth and platinum group of elements” Chemistry: Bulg. J. Sci. Educ., 24, No. 3, 469 (2015).Google Scholar
- 17.RMG 61–2010, GSI. Indicators of Accuracy, Correctness, Precision of Methods for Quantitative Chemical Analysis. Evaluation Methods. Google Scholar
- 18.E. N. Kablov, “Innovative developments of VIAM on the implementation of Strategic Directions for the Development of Materials and Technologies for Their Processing for the Period up to 2030,” Aviats. Mater. Tekhnol., 1, No. 34, 3–33 (2015).Google Scholar