Methods and Devices for Monitoring the Process of Laser Cleaning of Artworks
- 18 Downloads
A method of monitoring the process of laser cleaning of monuments and other works of art in the course of conservation is presented. The capabilities of the method of laser-induced breakdown plasma spectroscopy in cleaning of monuments made of metal are considered. A photometric device based on an integrating cavity in the form of a cylinder is developed and investigated. The capabilities gained with the use of the device for proximate analysis of the efficiency of the process of cleaning the surfaces of sculpture made of marble and limestone structures are shown.
Keywordsmonitoring methods laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy photodetector integrating sphere laser cleaning artworks conservation
The present investigations were performed with the support of the Ministry of Education and Science (State Contract No. 14.740.11.0601 for R&D “Development of Laser Technologies in Conservation of Works of Art”).
- 1.M. Cooper, Laser Cleaning in Conservation: An Introduction, Butterworth–Heinemann, Oxford (1998).Google Scholar
- 2.C. Fotakis, D. Anglos, V. Zafiropoulos, et al., Lasers in the Preservation of Cultural Heritage. Principles and Applications, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton (USA) (2007).Google Scholar
- 3.V. A. Parfenov, Laser Cleaning of Historical and Cultural Monuments, Izd. SPbGETU LETI, St. Petersburg (2015).Google Scholar
- 5.V. A. Parfenov and I. A. Yudin, “Atomic-force microscopy and its use in science, engineering, and conservation,” Izv. SPbGETU LETI, No. 9, 61–70 (2015).Google Scholar
- 7.I. A. Grigor’eva, V. A. Parfenov, D. S. Prokuratov, and A. L. Shakhmin, “Laser cleaning of copper in air and nitrogen media,” Opt. Zh., 84, No. 1, 3–8 (2017).Google Scholar
- 8.V. A. Parfenov, J. Asmus, M. Magde, et al., “Underwater inverse LIBS (iLIBS) for marine archeology,” SPIE Proc., 8790, 8790V-1–8790V-12 (2013).Google Scholar
- 9.M. M. Gurevich, Photometry. Theory, Methods, and Devices, Energoatomizdat, Leningrad (1983).Google Scholar