Consistent formulation of the power-law rheology and its application to the spreading of non-Newtonian droplets
- 115 Downloads
In this work, we introduce a general form of the Navier-Stokes equations for Generalized Newtonian fluids with an Ostwald power-law. The derivation, based on the covariant formalism, is frame-independent and gives rise to a source term in the Navier-Stokes equations referred to as the Ostwald vector which is characterized by the power-law exponent. The governing equations are then simplified in the long-wave approximation framework and applied to the spreading of an axisymmetric gravity current in the creeping flow regime. Well-known spreading laws are recovered through similarity solutions and a new derivation based on scaling arguments is proposed. Experimental results related to the spreading of gravity current are then presented and the potential to infer unknown rheological parameters from spreading rates is critically discussed in the context of a thorough error analysis.
KeywordsNon-Newtonian Wetting Ostwald power-law Power-law
The authors wish to thank Etienne Jaupart for useful discussions related to the derivation of the scaling laws.
- 13.Longo S, Di Federico V, Archetti R, Chiapponi L, Ciriello V, Ungarish M (2013) On the axisymmetric spreading of non-newtonian power-law gravity currents of time-dependent volume: an experimental and theoretical investigation focused on the inference of rheological parameters. J Non-Newton Fluid Mech 201:69–79CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Guyon E, Hulin JP, Petit L (2001) Hydrodynamique Physique, Inter Editions/Éditions du CNRS (1991), nouvelle édition revue et augmentée. EDP Sciences/CNRS Éditions 5, no. 7Google Scholar
- 15.Devaud M, Hocquet T (2013) Lagrangian sound. HALGoogle Scholar
- 16.Schowalter WR (1978) Mechanics of non-newtonian fluids. Princeton University, PrincetonGoogle Scholar
- 20.Hahn SJ, Ree T, Eyring H (1959) Flow mechanism of thixotropic substances. J Am Chem Soc 51(7):856–857Google Scholar
- 21.Kőkuti Z, Kokavecz J, Czirják A, Holczer I, Danyi A, Gábor Z, Szabó G, Pézsa N, Ailer P, Palkovics L (2011) Nonlinear viscoelasticity and thixotropy of a silicone fluid. Ann Fac Eng Hunedoara-Int J Eng 9(2):177–180Google Scholar