Down-regulation of ERMN expression in relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis
- 79 Downloads
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is a chronic inflammatory disease causing demyelination and neurodegeneration in the central nervous system (CNS). Although the exact etiology of MS is still unclear, both genetic and environmental elements are regarded as causative factors. Environmental factors can induce a cascade of events in immune system leading to neuronal death and nerve demyelination. This paper aims to compare the peripheral transcript levels of Ermin (ERMN) (a gene with putative role in cytoskeletal rearrangements during myelinogenesis) and Listerin E3 Ubiquitin Protein Ligase 1 (LTN1) (a gene with functions in regulating innate immune system) between relapsing-remitting MS (RR-MS) patients and healthy controls. The results showed a significant decrease in ERMN expression (p = 0.022); whereas, no significant difference was detected in LTN1 expression between two groups (p = 0.935). The reduction in ERMN expression in leukocytes could be the cause of demyelinating process in RR-MS patients. Current findings might also have practical importance in prognosis and targeted therapies.
KeywordsMultiple sclerosis (MS) ERMN LTN1 Myelination
The current study was supported by a grant from Tabriz University of Medical Sciences.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare they have no conflict of interest.
- Di Filippo M, Portaccio E, Mancini A, Calabresi P (2018) Multiple scle- rosis and cognition: synaptic failure and network dysfunction. Nat Rev Neurosci. 19(10):599-609. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41583-018-0053-9.
- Martins-de-Souza D, Gattaz WF, Schmitt A, Rewerts C, Marangoni S, Novello JC, Maccarrone G, Turck CW, Dias-Neto E (2009b) Alterations in oligodendrocyte proteins, calcium homeostasis and new potential markers in schizophrenia anterior temporal lobe are revealed by shotgun proteome analysis. J Neural Transm 116:275–289CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Polman CH, Reingold SC, Banwell B, Clanet M, Cohen JA, Filippi M, Fujihara K, Havrdova E, Hutchinson M, Kappos L, Lublin FD, Montalban X, O'connor P, Sandberg-Wollheim M, Thompson AJ, Waubant E, Weinshenker B, Wolinsky JS (2011) Diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: 2010 revisions to the McDonald criteria. Ann Neurol 69:292–302CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rahimi M, Aghabozorg Afjeh SS, Omrani MD, Arsang-Jang S, Ganji M, Noroozi R, Taheri M, Ghafouri-Fard S (2018) Soluble Receptor for Advanced Glycation End Products (sRAGE) is Up-Regulated in multiple sclerosis patients treated with Interferon beta-1a. Cell Physiol Biochem 46:561–567CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tyburczy ME, Kotulska K, Pokarowski P, Mieczkowski J, Kucharska J, Grajkowska W, Roszkowski M, Jozwiak S, Kaminska B (2010) Novel proteins regulated by mTOR in subependymal giant cell astrocytomas of patients with tuberous sclerosis complex and new therapeutic implications. Am J Pathol 176:1878–1890CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Xu H (2014) Neurodegenerative mechanisms of multiple sclerosis. JSM Neurosurg Spine 2:1024Google Scholar