Mangiferin attenuates cisplatin-induced acute kidney injury in rats mediating modulation of MAPK pathway
- 128 Downloads
Cisplatin has been confined due to the reported cases of nephrotoxicity. In the present study, an active xanthone, Mangiferin (from Mangifera indica) was investigated for its defensive role in cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity. Male wistar albino rats were divided into six groups i.e., group 1 (normal); group 2 (cisplatin control); group 3, 4, and 5 (mangiferin 10, 20, and 40 mg/kg, i.p.); and per se (40 mg/kg; i.p.). The treatment was given for 10 days. On day 7, single dose of cisplatin 8 mg/kg i.p. was administered to induce nephrotoxicity in all groups except normal and per se. On day 11, animals were anesthetized, blood was taken from heart and serum was separated. Thereafter, rats were sacrificed and kidneys were isolated and preserved for histopathological, ultrastructural, immunohistochemical, and western blot analysis. Cisplatin control group showed significant impairment in renal function due to increased inflammation and oxidative stress which was also confirmed by histopathology and MAPK pathway proteins expression. However, pretreatment with mangiferin 20 and 40 mg/kg significantly reversed the renal function along with the structural changes and the levels of antioxidants. Mangiferin treatment attenuated DNA damage and apoptotic pathway.
KeywordsMangiferin Cisplatin Nephrotoxicity Inflammation Oxidative stress Apoptosis
We are thankful to all technical staff for their assistance during the study.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 14.Suchal K, Malik S, Khan SI, Malhotra RK, Goyal SN, Bhatia J, Kumari S, Ojha S, Arya DS (2017) Protective effect of mangiferin on myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats: role of AGE-RAGE/MAPK pathways. Sci Rep. 7:42027. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep42027 Google Scholar
- 22.Marklund S, Marklund G (1974) Involvement of the superoxide anion radical in the autoxidation of pyrogallol and a convenient assay for superoxide dismutase. Eur J Biochem 47(3):469–474. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1432-1033.1974.tb03714.x Google Scholar
- 33.Quesada A, Vargas F, Montoro-Molina S, O’Valle F, Rodríguez-Martínez MD, Osuna A, Prieto I, Ramírez M, Wangensteen R (2012) Urinary aminopeptidase activities as early and predictive biomarkers of renal dysfunction in cisplatin-treated rats. PLoS ONE 7(7):e40402. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0040402 Google Scholar
- 35.Hurabielle C, Pillebout E, Stehle T, Pages C, Roux J, Schneider P, Chevret S, Chaffaut C, Boutten A, Mourah S, Basset-Seguin N (2016) Mechanisms underpinning increased plasma creatinine levels in patients receiving vemurafenib for advanced melanoma. PLoS ONE 11(3):e0149873. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0149873 Google Scholar
- 43.Martınez G, Delgado R, Pérez G, Garrido G, Nunez-Selles AJ, Leon OS (2000) Evaluation of the in vitro antioxidant activity of Mangifera indica L. extract (Vimang). Phytother Res. 14:424–427. https://doi.org/10.1002/1099-1573(200009)14:6%3C424::AID-PTR643%3E3.0.CO;2-8 Google Scholar
- 45.Rivera DG, Balmaseda IH, Leon AA, Hernandez BC, Montiel LM, Garrido GG, Hernandez RD, Cuzzocrea S (2006) Anti-allergic properties of Mangifera indica L. extract (Vimang) and contribution of its glucosylxanthone mangiferin. J Pharm Pharmacol 58(3):385–392. https://doi.org/10.1211/jpp.58.3.0014 Google Scholar
- 50.Guerrero-Beltran CE, Mukhopadhyay P, Horvath B, Rajesh M, Tapia E, García-Torres I, Pedraza-Chaverri J, Pacher P (2012) Sulforaphane, a natural constituent of broccoli, prevents cell death and inflammation in nephropathy. J Nutr Biochem 23(5):494–500. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnutbio.2011.02.004 Google Scholar
- 51.Miagkov AV, Kovalenko DV, Brown CE, Didsbury JR, Cogswell JP, Stimpson SA, Baldwin AS, Makarov SS (1998) NF-κB activation provides the potential link between inflammation and hyperplasia in the arthritic joint. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 95(23):13859–13864. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.95.23.13859 Google Scholar
- 53.Benedetti G, Fredriksson L, Herpers B, Meerman J, van de Water B, de Graauw M (2013) TNF-α-mediated NF-κB survival signaling impairment by cisplatin enhances JNK activation allowing synergistic apoptosis of renal proximal tubular cells. Biochem Pharmacol 85(2):274–286. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcp.2012.10.012 Google Scholar