Rank minimization on tensor ring: an efficient approach for tensor decomposition and completion
- 17 Downloads
In recent studies, tensor ring decomposition (TRD) has become a promising model for tensor completion. However, TRD suffers from the rank selection problem due to the undetermined multilinear rank. For tensor decomposition with missing entries, the sub-optimal rank selection of traditional methods leads to the overfitting/underfitting problem. In this paper, we first explore the latent space of the TRD and theoretically prove the relationship between the TR-rank and the rank of the tensor unfoldings. Then, we propose two tensor completion models by imposing the different low-rank regularizations on the TR-factors, by which the TR-rank of the underlying tensor is minimized and the low-rank structures of the underlying tensor are exploited. By employing the alternating direction method of multipliers scheme, our algorithms obtain the TR factors and the underlying tensor simultaneously. In experiments of tensor completion tasks, our algorithms show robustness to rank selection and high computation efficiency, in comparison to traditional low-rank approximation algorithms.
KeywordsTensor ring decomposition Tensor completion Structured nuclear norm ADMM scheme
This work was supported by JSPS KAKENHI (Grant Nos. 17K00326, 18K04178), JST CREST (Grant No. JPMJCR1784).
- Chen, Y., Jin, X., Kang, B., Feng, J., & Yan, S. (2018). Sharing residual units through collective tensor factorization to improve deep neural networks. In IJCAI (pp. 635–641).Google Scholar
- Hu, Y., Yi, X., & Davis, L.S. (2015). Collaborative fashion recommendation: A functional tensor factorization approach. In Proceedings of the 23rd ACM international conference on Multimedia (pp. 129–138). ACM.Google Scholar
- Khoo, Y., Lu, J., & Ying, L. (2017). Efficient construction of tensor ring representations from sampling. arXiv:1711.00954.
- Long, Z., Liu, Y., Chen, L., & Zhu, C. (2018). Low rank tensor completion for multiway visual data. Signal Processing.Google Scholar
- Novikov, A., Podoprikhin, D., Osokin, A., & Vetrov, D. P. (2015). Tensorizing neural networks. In Advances in neural information processing systems (pp. 442–450).Google Scholar
- Tomioka, R., & Suzuki, T. (2013). Convex tensor decomposition via structured Schatten norm regularization. In Advances in neural information processing systems (pp. 1331–1339).Google Scholar
- Wang, W., Aggarwal, V., & Aeron, S. (2017). Efficient low rank tensor ring completion. In 2017 IEEE international conference on computer vision (ICCV) (pp. 5698–5706). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Yokota, T., Erem, B., Guler, S., Warfield, S. K., & Hontani, H. (2018). Missing slice recovery for tensors using a low-rank model in embedded space. In Proceedings of the IEEE conference on computer vision and pattern recognition (pp. 8251–8259).Google Scholar
- Yu, J., Li, C., Zhao, Q., & Zhou, G. (2019). Tensor-ring nuclear norm minimization and application for visual data completion. In ICASSP 2019-2019 IEEE international conference on acoustics, speech and signal processing (ICASSP) (pp. 3142–3146). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Yuan, L., Cao, J., Zhao, X., Wu, Q., & Zhao, Q. (2018). Higher-dimension tensor completion via low-rank tensor ring decomposition. In Proceedings, APSIPA annual summit and conference (Vol. 2018, pp. 12–15).Google Scholar
- Yuan, L., Li, C., Mandic, D., Cao, J., & Zhao, Q. (2018). Rank minimization on tensor ring: A new paradigm in scalable tensor decomposition and completion. arXiv:1805.08468.
- Yuan, L., Zhao, Q., Gui, L., & Cao, J. (2019). High-order tensor completion via gradient-based optimization under tensor train format. Signal Processing: Image Communication, 73, 53–61.Google Scholar
- Zhang, Z., Ely, G., Aeron, S., Hao, N., & Kilmer, M. (2014). Novel methods for multilinear data completion and de-noising based on tensor-SVD. In Proceedings of the IEEE conference on computer vision and pattern recognition (pp. 3842–3849).Google Scholar
- Zhao, Q., Sugiyama, M., Yuan, L., & Cichocki, A. (2019). Learning efficient tensor representations with ring-structured networks. In ICASSP 2019-2019 IEEE international conference on acoustics, speech and signal processing (ICASSP) (pp. 8608–8612). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Zhao, Q., Zhou, G., Xie, S., Zhang, L., & Cichocki, A. (2016). Tensor ring decomposition. arXiv:1606.05535.