Determination and measurement of solid–liquid equilibrium for binary fatty acid mixtures based on NRTL and UNIQUAC activity models
- 10 Downloads
The estimation of solid–liquid phase equilibrium is important for the design, development, and operation of many industrial processes because of application in many manufacturing fields such as cosmetic, pharmaceutic, and biotechnology industries. In this work, we measured solid–liquid phase equilibrium of six fatty acid binary mixtures using the DSC technique and developed thermodynamic approaches for binary fatty acid mixtures to estimate melting temperatures as a function of mole fraction in solid–liquid phase equilibrium. Derivation of NRTL and UNIQUAC activity models was developed to predict melting temperatures and latent heat to achieve eutectic points of undecylic acid, pentadecylic acid, margaric acid, and stearic acid six pairwise binary mixtures. The fatty acids eutectic mixtures are appropriate for heat water systems, phase clothes, concrete, and other similar applications. The results showed low deviations from experimental data measured in this study.
KeywordsFatty acid Wilson model Melting temperature Eutectic point
- 3.Rocha SA, daSilva LK, Boros LAD, Krahenbuhl MA, Guirardello R. Solid–liquid equilibrium calculation and parameters determination in thermodynamic models for binary and ternary fatty mixtures. Chem Eng Trans. 2014;37:535–40.Google Scholar
- 5.Kopytowska AB, Górska A, Bryś J, Domian E, Wojdyła MW, Ligęza EO. Application of DSC and GC methods for characterization of newly designed spray-dried pea protein-fat preparations formulated with different types of a carbohydrate component. J Therm Anal Calorim. 2018;134:609–21.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Razouk R, Beaumont O, Hay B. A new accurate calorimetric method for the enthalpy of fusion measurements up to 1000 °C. J Therm Anal Calorim. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10973-018-7772-z (in press).
- 8.Rolemberg MP. Solid-liquid balance of fatty acids and triglycerides: experimental determination of emodulation, Doctorate Thesis on Chemical Engineering, State University of Campinas, 2002.Google Scholar
- 9.Boros LAD. Mathematical modeling and thermodynamics of the solid-liquid balance of fatty systems, Master Thesis on Chemical Engineering, State University of Campinas, 2005.Google Scholar
- 15.Bailey AE. Melting and solidification of fats. New York: Interscience Publishers; 1950.Google Scholar
- 18.Prausnitz JM, Lichtenthaler RN, Azevedo EG. Molecular thermodynamics of fluid-phase equilibria. New Jersey: Prectice-Hall; 1999.Google Scholar
- 20.Haynes WM. CRC handbook of chemistry and physics. 95th ed. Boca Raton: CRC Press; 2014.Google Scholar
- 24.Zhang Y, Su Y, Ge X. Prediction of the melting temperature and the fusion heat of (Quasi) eutectic PCM. J China Univ Sci Technol. 1995;25:474–8.Google Scholar