Leaching characteristics and kinetics of radioactive element uranium and thorium from Ta/Nb tailing
- 36 Downloads
The tantalum (Ta)/niobium (Nb) tailing is the tailing after smelting Ta/Nb ore. The tailing contains a certain amount of radioactive element uranium (U) and thorium (Th). U and Th from Ta/Nb tailing were leached by nitric acid and sulfuric acid. Leaching effect and kinetics were investigated under the conditions of different acid concentration, temperature, liquid–solid ratio and time. The results showed that the leaching effects of sulfuric acid on U and Th were much better than that of nitric acid. Kinetic analysis shows that the leaching of U and Th by nitric acid and sulfuric acid are surface chemical reaction.
KeywordsTa/Nb tailing Uranium Thorium Leaching
This work was financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (11875105, 21866006, 21601033), and Major Discipline Academic and Technical Leaders Training Program of Jiangxi Province (20172BCB22020).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 5.Cheru MS, del Rosario AV, Yimam A, Tadesse B, Berhe GG (2019) Hydrometallurgical removal of uranium and thorium from Ethiopian tantalite ore. Physicochem Probl Miner Process 55(2):448–457Google Scholar
- 6.Dampare SB, Nyarko BJB, Osae S, Akaho EHK, Asiedu DK, Serfor-Armah Y, Nude P (2005) Simultaneous determination of tantalum, niobium, thorium and uranium in placer columbite–tantalite deposits from the Akim Oda District of Ghana by epithermal instrumental neutron activation analysis. J Radioanal Nucl Chem 256(1):53–59CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Li X, Zhao K, You C, Linghu W, Ye F, Yu M, Alsaedi A, Hayat T, Pan H, Luo J, Ren X (2018) Nanocomposites of polyaniline functionalized graphene oxide: synthesis and application as a novel platform for removal of Cd(II), Eu(III), Th(IV) and U(VI) in water. J Radioanal Nucl Chem 315(3):509–522CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Hosseini MS, Abedi F (2015) Comparison of adsorption behavior of Th(IV) and U(VI) on mixed-ligands impregnated resin containing antraquinones with that conventional one. J Radioanal Nucl Chem 303(3):2173–2183Google Scholar
- 32.Adetunji AR, Siyanbola WO, Funtua II, Olusunle SOO, Afonja AA, Adewoye OO (2005) Assessment of beneficiation routes of tantalite ores from key locations in Nigeria. J Miner Mater Character Eng 4(2):85–93Google Scholar