Preparation of thin films of cellulose acetate-nitrocellulose blend for solid state nuclear track detection using spin coating technique
- 53 Downloads
This paper describes preparation of composite thin films of 12 ± 1 µm from cellulose acetate (CA) and cellulose acetate (CA) -cellulose nitrate (CN) blend on a polyester support for solid state nuclear track detection (SSNTD) application. Films were prepared using a spin coater and their experimentally observed film thickness was compared with theoretically predicted film thickness using Damon and Meyerhofer equations. Effect of RPM of spin coater on cellulose nitrate and cellulose acetate thin films is reported for the first time. Track detection properties of CA + CN are tested and compared with indigenous CN and imported LR-115™ film.
KeywordsDamon equation Spin coater Meyerhofer equation Track density Solid state nuclear track detection (SSNTD)
The authors thank The Atomic Energy Regulatory Board, Government of India, for providing research grants and fellowship to V. M. Pawar. Authors thank M/s Rathi Dye Chem (P) LTD, India for gifting a sample of Rathipon fire RED G dye.
- 6.Morgan E (2013) Eyeglass frame materials. https://www.allaboutvision.com/eyeglasses
- 7.Production properties and applications of cellulose acetate. https://www.slideshare.net/SmartinfosysSeo
- 8.Nadkarni VS, Bhagwat SS, Samant SD (1999) A correlation of the thickness of the nitrocellulose films prepared using a spinning disk technique with the observable properties of nitrocellulose solution. Indian J Chem Sect A Inorg Phys Theor Anal Chem 38:209–218Google Scholar
- 11.Damon GF (1967) Proceedings Kodak seminar on micro emulsion. New York, p 36Google Scholar
- 13.ASTM D 823-95 Standard practices for producing films of uniform thickness of paint, Varnish, and related products on test panels (2007)Google Scholar
- 15.University of Louisville (2013) Spin coating theory. https://louisville.edu/micronano/files/documents/standard-operating-procedures/SpinCoatingInfo.pdf/view, pp 2–3
- 16.Brydson JA (1989) Plastic materials, 5th addition. Butterworths, UKGoogle Scholar