Trace impurities analysis in UF4 via standard addition and 103Rh internal standardization techniques combined with ICP-MS
- 24 Downloads
In order to determine trace impurities in the nuclear grade UF4, an analysis method based on the standard addition and 103Rh internal standardization techniques combined with ICP-MS has been established. The examination tests, including comparison with the quantity of trace impurities assigned in a certified reference uranium oxide and determination of the standard addition recovery, were performed to validate the accuracy and precision of the method. Total 42 trace impurity elements from Li to Bi were determined, with the method detection limit for the 42 impurities were found in the range of 0.0004–0.072 μg g−1. The recoveries were varied from 92% to 111%, and the relative deviations for most of the impurity elements were less than 10%. The method has been verified to meet the requirements of quality control for the UF4 and will be used in the molten salt reactor.
KeywordsTrace impurities UF4 Standard addition Internal standardization ICP-MS
This work was supported by the “Strategic Priority Research Program” and “Frontier Science Key Program” of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (Grant Nos. XDA02030000 and QYZDYSSW-JSC016), National Natural Science Foundation of China (21601201), Youth Innovation Promotion Association CAS (2016241).
- 3.Gopalkrishnan M, Radhakrishnan K, Dhami PS, Kulkarni VT, Joshi MV, Patwardhan AB, Ramanujam A, Mathur JN (1997) Determination of trace impurities in uranium, thorium and plutonium matrices by solvent extraction and inductively coupled plasma atomic emission spectrometry. Talanta 44:169–176CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Jiang MH, Xu HJ, Dai ZM (2012) Future advanced nuclear fission energy-TMSR nuclear energy system. Bull Chin Acad Sci 27:366–374Google Scholar
- 15.Quarles CD, Jones DR, Jarrett JM, Shakirova G, Pan Y, Caldwell KL, Jones RL (2014) Analytical method for total chromium and nickel in urine using an inductively coupled plasma-universal cell technology-mass spectrometer (ICP-UCT-MS) in kinetic energy discrimination (KED) mode. J Anal At Spectrom 29:297–303CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.National Management Committee of Reference Materials (2016) Catalogue of Certified reference materials of the People’s Republic of China. China Quality Inspection Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- 18.ISO International (2015) Statistical methods for use in proficiency testing by interlaboratory comparison. ISO 13528-2015Google Scholar
- 19.HJ Ministry of environmental protection of PRC (2010) Environmental monitoring—technical guideline on drawing and revising analytical method standards. HJ 168-2010Google Scholar