Impact of the meteorological parameters on the behaviour of 7Be at ground level in Tetouan city, Morocco from June 2015 to February 2017
- 45 Downloads
For the first time, atmospheric aerosols were collected in Tetouan city (Morocco), from June 2015 to February 2017, through which 7Be activity was measured. We studied data variation by time series analyses and the impact of local meteorological factors on it. 7Be concentrations, in mBq/m3, ranged from 1.65 to 7.79 with mean value of 4.69. 7Be behaviour is mainly influenced by air temperature, precipitations, relative humidity and atmospheric pressure. A prediction model was suggested and validated. This study helps understanding climatic variables impact on the environmental processes as aerosols transport and deposit, and to predict 7Be behaviour in Mediterranean regions like Tetouan.
KeywordsMeteorological factors Be-7 Atmospheric aerosols Vertical convection Be-7 specific activity
We warmly thank the staff of the meteorological factors registration station at Tetouan Airport who gave us all the information we needed in this study and the Royal Observatory of Belgium (SIDC, Brussels) for giving us the number of sunspots we requested. To encourage this first research of its kind in our neighboring country of Europe and the future project to install a radiological monitoring station in Tetouan then generalize it through Morocco. This study had received a specific grant from Abdelmalek Essaadi University.
- 1.Kathren RL (1984) Radioactivity in the environment sources, distribution and surveillance. Gordon and Breach Science Publishers Inc., New York. ISBN 3-7186-0203-2Google Scholar
- 16.Tetouan airport whether station archives. https://rp5.ru/Archives_météo_à_Tétouan_ (aéroport). Accessed 10 Jan 2018
- 17.SILSO (2015) World Data Center—Sunspot number and long-term solar, observations, Royal Observatory of Belgium. On-line sunspot number catalogue. http://WWW.Sidc.be/SILSO/. Accessed 19 July 2017
- 19.Cannizzaro F, Greco G, Raneli M, Spitale MC, Tomarchio E (2004) Concentration measurements of 7Be at ground level air at Palermo, Italy. Comparison with solar activity over a period of 21 years. J Environ Radioact 72:259–271. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0265-931X(03)00177-2 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Gonzalez A, Marugán I, Rey Del Castillo C, Ramos L, Sterling A (2004) Environmental radiological monitoring programs: results 2002. Technical Reports Collection 12 Spanish Nuclear Safety Council, MadridGoogle Scholar
- 21.Gonzalez A, Marugán I, Rey Del Castillo C, Ramos L, Sterling A (2005) Environmental radiological monitoring programs: results 2003. Technical Reports Collection 14 Spanish Nuclear Safety Council, MadridGoogle Scholar
- 29.Hernandez F, Rodriguez S, Karlsson L, Alonso-Perez S, Lopez-Perez M, Hernandez-Armas J, Cuevas E (2008) Origin of observed high 7Be and mineral dust concentrations in ambient air on the Island of Tenerife. Atmos Environ 42:4247–4256. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2008.01.017 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 36.Bonasoni P, Evangelisti F, Bonafe U, Ravegnani F, Calzolari F, Stohl A, Tositti L, Tubertini O, Colombo T (2000) stratospheric ozone intrusion episodes recorded at Mt. Cimone during the VOTALP project: case studies. Atmos Environ 34:1355–1365. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(99)00280-0 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 37.Rankama K (1963) Nuclear reaction in nature. Progress isotope geology. Interscience Publishers, New Jersey, pp 91–176Google Scholar