A modified method for the determination of uranium in Nb/Ta minerals by LED fluorimetry
- 21 Downloads
A modified LED fluorimetry determination of uranium in Nb/Ta minerals has been developed. The mineral is brought into solution by fusion with mixed phosphate flux (NaH2PO4, H2O and Na2HPO4). Iron quenches uranium fluorescence when it is present above the ratio of (iron to uranium) 100. Uranium is separated in ethyl acetate by solvent extraction and then stripped back into pyrophosphate buffer (pH ~ 7) prior to its LED fluorimetry determination. This modified method has been applied for the determination of uranium in synthetic mixtures and Nb/Ta minerals including Certified Reference Materials (X1807) with high degree of accuracy and precision.
KeywordsUranium Iron/uranium ratio Niobite–tantalite minerals LED fluorimetry
The authors express their sincere thanks and gratitude to Directors, AMD, Hyderabad and NIT, Jamshedpur for their kind permission to do research work leading to Ph.D. The authors are also thankful to Regional Director and Dy. Regional Director, AMD, Eastern Region, Jamshedpur for providing necessary facilities to carry out the work. Also, the authors are thankful to Head, Chemistry Group, AMD, Hyderabad and Dr. Vijay Kumar, Incharge, Chemistry Laboratory, AMD, Jamshedpur for their constant encouragement, support and motivation to do the work. Special thanks to Shri Amit kumar, research scholar, NIT, Jamshedpur for his non-technical support.
- 1.Gupta CK, Suri AK (1994) Extractive metallurgy of niobium. CRC Press, Boca RatonGoogle Scholar
- 2.Onishi H (1989) Photometric determination of trace metals, part IIB. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 5.Arora HC (2003) Chemical analysis of geological materials-theory and practice, 1st edn. A Publication of Chemistry Group, AMD/DAE, Govt. of India, Hyderabad, p 5Google Scholar
- 6.Satyanarayana K, Nayeem MA (2002) Application of solvent extraction and acid hydrolysis of Nb/Ta separation methods for the determination of uranium in geological materials, Nb/Ta-type samples, and leach liquors by ICP-OES. Atom Spectrosc 23(3):77–85Google Scholar
- 8.Premadas A, Hanuman VV, Dwivedi VN (2004) Chemical characterization of columbite tantalite minerals by ICP-OES and FAAS. Atom Spectrosc 25(2):70–78Google Scholar
- 13.Kumar M, Krishnakumar M (2017) A manual on fluorimetric determination of uranium in geo-materials. A Publication of Chemistry Group, AMD/DAE, Govt. of India, HyderabadGoogle Scholar
- 16.Pradhan SK, Tarafder PK (2016) A new extraction procedure for the pellet fluorimetric determination of uranium in columbite–tantalite minerals. In: Proceedings of the international seminar on ‘emerging trends in analytical chemistry (ETAC 2016)’ held on 21–23 Sept 2016 at ISEC, Nagarbhavi, BangaloreGoogle Scholar