Stability constants and spectroscopic properties of thorium(IV)-arsenazo III complexes in perchloric acid
- 104 Downloads
The complexation of thorium with arsenazo III in perchloric acid was quantitatively investigated with ultraviolet–visible (UV–Vis) absorption spectroscopy. The UV–Vis absorption of both 1:1 and 1:2 (thorium to arsenazo III) complexes in perchloric acid were found to be highly enhanced than the previously reported absorption of the complexes in hydrochloric acid. The stability constants of thorium-arsenazo III complexes were determined via computational analysis, and the SIT (specific ion interaction theory) was employed to evaluate the dependence on ionic strength. This work contributes to a better understanding of the speciation and spectroscopic properties of thorium-arsenazo III complexes at high ionic strength.
KeywordsThorium Arsenazo III Complexation Spectrophotometry Speciation SIT
This work was supported by the BK21 PLUS program, and a grant from the Nuclear R&D Program of the National Research Foundation of Korea funded by the Ministry of Science and ICT (Grant Nos. 2016M2B2B1945252 and 2017M2A8A5014801).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Kim JI (2006) Significance of actinide chemistry for the long-term safety of waste disposal. Nucl Eng Technol 38:459–482Google Scholar
- 15.Wanner H, Östhols E (1999) Guidelines for the assignment of uncertainties. OECD Nuclear Energy Agency, Issy-les-MoulineauxGoogle Scholar
- 16.Grenthe I, Mompean F, Spahiu K, Wanner H (2013) Guidelines for the extrapolation to zero ionic strength. OECD Nuclear Energy Agency Data Bank, Issy-les-MoulineauxGoogle Scholar
- 17.Wanner H, Östhols E (2015) Standards and conventions for TDB publications. OECD Nuclear Energy Agency, Issy-les-MoulineauxGoogle Scholar
- 23.Palei PN, Udaltsova NI, Nemodruk AA (1967) Acid dissociation constants of arsenazo III. Zh Analit Khim 22:1797–1804 (in Russian) Google Scholar
- 28.Rand M, Fuger J, Grenthe I, Neck V, Rai D (2008) Chemical thermodynamics of thorium. OECD Nuclear Energy Agency Data Bank, OECD Publications, ParisGoogle Scholar