Comparison of the efficacy of 177Lu-EDTMP, 177Lu-DOTMP and 188Re-HEDP towards bone osteosarcoma: an in vitro study
- 118 Downloads
Among the radiopharmaceuticals harnessed for palliation of bone pain in osseous metastases patients, 177Lu labeled phosphonates such as EDTMP (Ethylene diamine tetramethylene phosphonic acid) as well as DOTMP (1,4,7,10-tetraaza-cyclo-dodecane-1,4,7,10 tetraethylene phosphonic acid) and 188Re-labeled HEDP (1,1-hydroxyethylene diphosphonic acid) seem to be the most favorable for treatment of small and medium/large size bone lesions, respectively. A comparative assessment of 177Lu-EDTMP, 177Lu-DOTMP and 188Re-HEDP in osteosarcoma tumor cell line was carried out to evaluate their relative efficacy. It was found that 188Re-HEDP is more potent in induction of cell toxicity and apoptosis compared to the 177Lu-EDTMP and 177Lu-DOTMP, thus 188Re-HEDP might have great clinical significance.
Keywords177Lu-EDTMP, 177Lu-DOTMP, 188Re-HEDP G2/M arrest Apoptosis Osteosarcoma Cell toxicity
The authors are thankful to staff members of the Radiochemical Section of Radiopharmaceuticals Division, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) for providing the 177LuCl3, produced in-house, used for the present study. The help rendered by the staff members of Animal House Facility, Radiation Biology and Health Sciences Division, BARC is also gratefully acknowledged.
- 26.Eriksson D, Löfroth PO, Johansson L, Riklund KA, Stigbrand T (2007) Cell cycle disturbances and mitotic catastrophes in HeLa Hep2 cells following 2.5 to 10 Gy of ionizing radiation. Clin Cancer Res 13(18 Pt 2):5501 s-5508 sGoogle Scholar
- 28.Kroger LA, DeNardo GL, Gumerlock PH, Xiong CY, Winthrop MD, Shi XB, Mack PC, Leshchinsky T, DeNardo SJ (2001) Apoptosis-related gene and protein expression in human lymphoma xenografts (Raji) after low dose rate radiation using 67Cu-2IT-BAT-Lym-1 radioimmunotherapy. Cancer Biother Radiopharm 16:213–225CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 31.Kumar C, Sharma R, Das T, Korde A, Sarma HD, Banerjee S, Dash A. (2018) 177Lu-DOTMP induces G2/M cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in MG63 cell line. J Labelled Comp Radiopharm https://doi.org/10.1002/jlcr.3651
- 35.Das T, Sarma HD, Shinto A, Kamaleshwaran KK, Banerjee S (2014) Formulation, preclinical evaluation, and preliminary clinical investigation of an in-house freeze-dried EDTMP kit suitable for the preparation of 177Lu-EDTMP. Cancer Biother Radiopham 29:412–421Google Scholar
- 39.ICRU Report 16: Linear Energy Transfer (1970) Volume os9, Issue 1, 15 June: 1-51Google Scholar