Comparison of the efficacy of 177Lu-EDTMP, 177Lu-DOTMP and 188Re-HEDP towards bone osteosarcoma: an in vitro study
- 42 Downloads
Among the radiopharmaceuticals harnessed for palliation of bone pain in osseous metastases patients, 177Lu labeled phosphonates such as EDTMP (Ethylene diamine tetramethylene phosphonic acid) as well as DOTMP (1,4,7,10-tetraaza-cyclo-dodecane-1,4,7,10 tetraethylene phosphonic acid) and 188Re-labeled HEDP (1,1-hydroxyethylene diphosphonic acid) seem to be the most favorable for treatment of small and medium/large size bone lesions, respectively. A comparative assessment of 177Lu-EDTMP, 177Lu-DOTMP and 188Re-HEDP in osteosarcoma tumor cell line was carried out to evaluate their relative efficacy. It was found that 188Re-HEDP is more potent in induction of cell toxicity and apoptosis compared to the 177Lu-EDTMP and 177Lu-DOTMP, thus 188Re-HEDP might have great clinical significance.
Keywords177Lu-EDTMP, 177Lu-DOTMP, 188Re-HEDP G2/M arrest Apoptosis Osteosarcoma Cell toxicity
The authors are thankful to staff members of the Radiochemical Section of Radiopharmaceuticals Division, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) for providing the 177LuCl3, produced in-house, used for the present study. The help rendered by the staff members of Animal House Facility, Radiation Biology and Health Sciences Division, BARC is also gratefully acknowledged.
- 2.Luz MA, Aprikian AG (2010) Preventing bone complications in advanced prostate cancer. Curr Oncol 17:S65–S71Google Scholar
- 9.Lewington VJ (2005) Bone-seeking radionuclides for therapy. J Nucl Med 46:38S–47SGoogle Scholar
- 26.Eriksson D, Löfroth PO, Johansson L, Riklund KA, Stigbrand T (2007) Cell cycle disturbances and mitotic catastrophes in HeLa Hep2 cells following 2.5 to 10 Gy of ionizing radiation. Clin Cancer Res 13(18 Pt 2):5501 s-5508 sGoogle Scholar
- 28.Kroger LA, DeNardo GL, Gumerlock PH, Xiong CY, Winthrop MD, Shi XB, Mack PC, Leshchinsky T, DeNardo SJ (2001) Apoptosis-related gene and protein expression in human lymphoma xenografts (Raji) after low dose rate radiation using 67Cu-2IT-BAT-Lym-1 radioimmunotherapy. Cancer Biother Radiopharm 16:213–225CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Kumar C, Sharma R, Das T, Korde A, Sarma HD, Banerjee S, Dash A. (2018) 177Lu-DOTMP induces G2/M cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in MG63 cell line. J Labelled Comp Radiopharm https://doi.org/10.1002/jlcr.3651
- 35.Das T, Sarma HD, Shinto A, Kamaleshwaran KK, Banerjee S (2014) Formulation, preclinical evaluation, and preliminary clinical investigation of an in-house freeze-dried EDTMP kit suitable for the preparation of 177Lu-EDTMP. Cancer Biother Radiopham 29:412–421Google Scholar
- 39.ICRU Report 16: Linear Energy Transfer (1970) Volume os9, Issue 1, 15 June: 1-51Google Scholar
- 44.Nicolini F, Burmistrova O, Marrero MT, Torres F, Hernández C, Quintana J, Estévez F (2014) Induction of G2/M phase arrest and apoptosis by the flavonoid tamarixetin on human leukemia cells. Mol Carcinog 53:939–950Google Scholar