Synthesis of cross-linked sulfonated poly(ether ether ketone) and its use for Pb2+ and 137Cs removal from aqueous solution
- 13 Downloads
Sulfonated ion irradiated (H+ and He2+) PEEK films were synthesized with a range of cross-linking density and a variety of sulfonation degrees. Batch adsorption experiments were carried out at an initial pH of 6.0 ± 0.2, initial concentrations of Pb2+ and 137Cs ions of 10.0 mg L−1 and 5500 Bq L−1, respectively. The maximum adsorption capacity was 60 mg g−1 for Pb2+, and the distribution coefficient reached 6200 cm3 g−1 for 137Cs. The results indicated that sulfonation could be used to recycle low cross-linked PEEK and prepare efficient adsorbents to remove toxic Pb2+ and 137Cs from polluted aqueous solutions.
KeywordsIon irradiation Sulfonation Sorption Radionuclide Wastewater
The authors thank Prof. James N. Hay and Prof. David J. Parker for allowing the use of irradiation facility. Thanks are also due to Prof. I. Othman; the Director General of the Atomic Energy Commission of Syria for his support.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
All authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.WHO (2008) Guidelines for drinking-water quality. World Health Organization, Genova. http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/fulltext.pdf. Accessed 01 Sept 2017
- 18.Al Lafi AG, Ajji Z (2017) Radiation grafting of acrylic acid and N-vinyl imidazole onto polyethylene films for lead ion removal: a two-dimensional correlation infrared spectroscopy investigation. J Appl Polym Sci 134:44781Google Scholar
- 27.IAEA (2004) Quantifying uncertainty in nuclear analytical measurements. No. TECDOC-1401. IAEA, ViennaGoogle Scholar
- 28.Cheney MA, Bhowmik PK, Qian S, Joo SW, Hou W, Okoh JM (2008) A new method of synthesizing black birnessite nanoparticles: from brown to black birnessite with nanostructures. J Nanomat 2008, Article ID 763706Google Scholar
- 29.Khandekar RN, Tripathi RM, Raghunath R, Mishra UC (1988) Simultaneous determination of Pb, Cd, Zn and Cu in surface soil using differential pulse anodic stripping voltammetry. Indian J Environ Health 30:98–103Google Scholar
- 35.Al Lafi AG (2015) The sulfonation of poly(ether ether ketone)as investigated by two-dimensional FTIR correlation spectroscopy. J Appl Polym Sci 132: Article No. 41242Google Scholar