Variation rules of the radon emanation coefficient in dump-leached uranium tailing sand
- 50 Downloads
This study was intended to determine the variation rules of the radon emanation coefficient in dump-leached uranium tailing sand. A temperature and humidity controllable device for measuring the emanation coefficient was designed. Tailing sand with different grain sizes was selected from uranium tailings in southern China. An orthogonal experimental design was conducted to determine the radon emanation coefficient of the sand under different temperatures, humidities and grain sizes. Experimental results showed that the air temperature, humidity and grain size have significant effects on the emanation coefficient. The variation rules regarding the radon emanation coefficient showed significant reference value.
KeywordsRadon Emanation coefficient Variation rule Dump-leached uranium tailing sand
This work was supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (11575080), Hunan Provincial Natural Science Foundation of China (2018JJ2318), the 2017 Graduate Research and Innovation Project Fund (2017YCXXM02) and the 2018 Graduate Research and Innovation Project Fund (2018KYY141).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
- 9.Pavia M, Bianco A, Pileggi C, Angelillo IF (2003) Meta-analysis of residential exposure to radon gas and lung cancer. Bull World Health Organ 81(10):732–738Google Scholar
- 10.NEA, IAEA (2010) Uranium 2009: resources, production and demand. OECD Publishing, ParisGoogle Scholar
- 12.Kovács T, Shahrokhi A, Sas Z, Vigh T, Somlai J (2016) Radon exhalation study of manganese clay residue and usability in brick production. J Environ Radioact 168:1–6Google Scholar
- 16.Markkanen M, Arvela H (1992) Radon emanation from soils. Zhejiang Soc Sci 82(4 Pt 1):2011–2024Google Scholar
- 19.Myers S (1999) Predicting arsenic concentrations in the porewaters of buried uranium mill tailings. Geochim Cosmochim Acta 63(19–20):3379–3394Google Scholar
- 24.Ishimori Y, Lange K, Martin P, Mayya YS, Phaneuf M (2013) Measurement and calculation of radon releases from NORM residues, Technical reports series No.474. International atomic energy agency. ViennaGoogle Scholar
- 25.Nan H, Ding D, Li G (2014) Vegetation composition and 226Ra uptake by native plant species at a uranium mill tailings impoundment in South China. J Environ Radioact 129(129):100–106Google Scholar