Structure effect on mechanical and thermal properties in aromatic copolyamides with phenyl substituents
- 39 Downloads
Six aromatic copolyamides contanining phenyl groups were synthesized and characterized. The concentrations of the para-linked phenyl groups and meta-linked phenyl groups were varied systematically on the copolymers general structure to obtain a set of random copolyamides. Effect of copolymerization on glass transition temperature (Tg), tensile modulus (E), Tensile strength (σ) were measured. Changes in density were determined to estimate the effect on Fractional Free Volume (FFV). Results indicate that the substitution of para-linked phenyl group by meta-linked phenyl group causes an increase in tensile modulus E and tensile strength a decrease in Tg. The observed results are attributed to the asymmetric position of the linkages in the TERE and ISO isomers, because symmetric linkages, such as TERE, induces a higher packing of the polyamide chains while the asymmetry of ISO isomer inhibits packing causing an expansion in the FFV.
KeywordsAromatic polyamides Polycondensation Mechanical and thermal properties Fractional free volume
This research was performed under UNACAR grant No. DIP/11/2003.
- 7.Trigo M, García JM, Reglero JA, García FC (2018) Aromatic polyamides. Encyclopedia of polymer science and technology. John Wiley & SonsGoogle Scholar
- 10.Palí R, Loría Bastarrachea M, Aguilar Vega M, Angulo JL And Vazquez H; (2002). Síntesis and characterization of aromatic polyamides obtained from 4-4′-(9-fluorenilidene)diamine, 4-4′-(hexafluoro-isopropolylidene)dianilineand 4-4′--diamine-benzophenone, High perform Polym, 14: 77–91CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Plaza-Lozano D, Comesaña-Gándara B, De la Viuda M, Geug Seong J, Palacio L, Prádanos P, De la Campa JG, Cuadrado P, Moo Lee Y, Hernández A, Alvarez C, Lozano AE (2015) New aromatic polyamides and polyimides having an adamantane bulky group. Materials Today Communications 5:23–31Google Scholar
- 14.Van Krevelen DW, Hoftyzer PJ (1976) Properties of polymers. Elsevier, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- 19.American Society for Testing and Materials. Standard test method for tensile properties of thin plastic Sheeting1. Designation:D 882 02. Pennsylvania, PA: ASTM, p. 10Google Scholar
- 22.Yang CP, Cherng JJ (1995) Synthesis and properties of aromatic polyamides derived from 1,2-bis(4-aminophenoxy)benzene and aromatic dicarboxylic acids. J Polym Sci A Polym Chem 33:2209–2220Google Scholar
- 23.Bhole YS, Kharul UK (2003) Effect of fluorine-bisphenol ring substitucion and bridge rigidity on physical and gas permeation properties of resulting polyarilates. Polym Int 52:1474–1479Google Scholar
- 24.Zilberman M, Siegmann A, Narkist M (1995) The glass transition temperature of 6/6.9 random copolyamides. Polymer 36:5065–5067Google Scholar