Investigation of non-adhesive behaviour of waterborne polyurethane dispersions
- 27 Downloads
The current work probe the thermo-mechanical defects responsible for the non-adhesive behaviour of waterborne polyurethane dispersions (PUDs). A sequence of composition of PUDs has been developed by using blended macrodiols of hydroxyl terminated polybutadiene (HTPB) and polypropylene glycol (PPG). The urethane linkages have been developed by the use of 1,6 hexane diisocyanate (HDI). The polymer contents synthesized by prepolymer method have been dispersed in deionized water to develop ecofriendly dispersions. The dispersions were subjected to probe tack analysis to determine the extent of adhesiveness. The adhesive properties evaluated from probe tack curve show tack adhesion energy from 10.5 to 42. 5 J-m-2. The DMA analysis revealed high storage modulus up to 1.42 MPa for PUD films. The adhesive properties evaluated by the consideration, of the ratio of loss tangent, to the storage modulus (tanδ / E′) for comparison resulted in the values from 0.15 -0.71 MPa-1. The Tg ranges from ̶ 65 °C to ̶ 57 °C. The composition of blended macrodiols of high molecular weight HTPB results in tack less rigid films of PUDs.
Key wordsDispersion Adhesives Blended macrodiols Viscoelasticity Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC)
We highly acknowledge Higher Education Commission of Pakistan for the grant to N.A. to execute this project. The authors also acknowledge the assistance of Prof JL. Keddie, technical assistance from Dr. Robert Gurney and Mrs.Violeta Doukova at the University of Surrey, UK.
- 5.Mishra V, Desai J, Patel I K (2018) (UV/Oxidative) dual curing polyurethane dispersion from cardanol basedpolyol: Synthesis and characterization Industrial Crops & Products. 11:165–178.Google Scholar
- 7.Akram N, Zia KM, Saeed M, Mansha A, Khan WG (2018) Morphological studies of polyurethane based pressure sensitive adhesives by tapping mode atomic force microscopy. J Polym Res 25(194):1591-1596Google Scholar
- 8.Lewandowski K, Krepski LR, Mickus DE, Roberts RR, Heilmann SM, Larson WK, Purgett MD, Koecher SD, Johnson SA, Mcgurran JR, Chris SV, Pather KA, Thakur M (2002) Synthesis and Properties of Waterborne Self-Crosslinkable Sulfo-urethane Silanol Dispersions. J Polym Sci: Part A: PolymChem 40:3037–3045CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Pant CS, Santosh MS, Banerjee SSB, Khanna PK (2013) Single Step Synthesis of Nitro-Functionalized Hydroxyl-Terminated Polybutadiene. Propellants Explos Pyrotech 35:1–6Google Scholar
- 15.Gaddam SK, Palanisamy A (2018) Effect of counterion on the properties of anionic waterborne polyurethane dispersions developed from cottonseed oil based polyol. J Polym Res 25(186). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10965-018-1580-9
- 32.Akram N, Zia KM, Saeed M, Usman M, Khan WG (2019) Role of isophorone diisocyanate in the optimization of adhesion tendency of polyurethane pressure sensitive adhesives. J Appl Polym Sci 135:1–9Google Scholar