Preparation of konjac glucomannan–borax hydrogels with good self-healing property and pH-responsive behavior
- 10 Downloads
In this study, konjac glucomannan (KGM)–sodium tetraborate (borax) hydrogels with good self-healing property and pH-sensitivity were successfully prepared via a simple one-step method. The effects of KGM and borax contents on the morphology, rheological viscoelasticity, mechanical properties and self-healing performance of the hydrogels were systematically investigated. The results of infrared spectroscopy and scanning electron microscope confirmed the generation of boron-oxygen bonds in the hydrogels. The rheological behavior of the hydrogels further revealed that the cross-linking density of the hydrogel system is positively correlated with borax concentration. Due to this fact, the mechanical properties are enhanced with increasing the borax content. For their self-healing performance, we observed that the recovery rate of the tensile strength is significantly faster than that of the elongation rate at break. Particularly, we found that hydrogel with 6 wt% of KGM exhibits the best self-healing performance, i.e., after 5 min of self-healing, the mechanical properties can recover by 95%. Besides, the KGM–borax hydrogels also show a good and recyclable pH-responsive behavior.
KeywordsKonjac glucomannan Hydrogel Self-healing pH-responsive
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (51703198) and the General Scientific Research Project of Department of Education of Zhejiang Province, China (Y201636251).
- 13.Gao SJ, Wu CD, Nishinari K (2010) J. Appl. Polym. Sci 108:2825–2832Google Scholar
- 22.Dai YJ, Yan H, Zhang BB, Wu WT, Yang LQ, Li SF, Li WB, Li HT, Yan LL, Shan DX, Feng YJ, Terui N, Tanaka S (2014) J. Appl. Polym. Sci 131:4401–4404Google Scholar
- 23.Xiao CB, Lu YS, Liu HJ, Zhang L (2015) J. Appl. Polym. Sci 80:26–31Google Scholar
- 28.Pezron E, Ricard A, Leibler L (2010) J. Polym. Sci. Pol. Che 28:2445–2461Google Scholar
- 31.Gong J, Yang J, Yuan Y, Wang L, Wu J, Mu R, Hong X, Pang J (2017). Polym Mater Sci Eng 33:69–84Google Scholar
- 41.Lu B, Lin F, Jiang X, Cheng J, Lu Q, Song J, Chen C, Huang B (2016) ACS Sustain. Chem E 5:948–956Google Scholar