Photo-induced controlled radical polymerization with new Photocatalyst
- 145 Downloads
Photo-induced electron transfer reversible addition-fragmentation chain transfer (PET RAFT) of methyl methacrylate (MMA) was investigated at 25 °C with rose bengal (4,5,6,7-tetrachloro-2′,4′,5′,7′-tetraiodofluorescein) (RB) as photoredox catalyst under visible light irradiation. The traditional chain transfer agent 4-cyanopentanoic acid dithiobenzoate (CPADB) was employed in this study. The kinetic curve of the photo-induced PET RAFT polymerization exhibited a good linear behavior. The number average molecular weights (Mn,GPC) of the poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA) increased linearly with respect to monomer consumption and they were in good agreement with the calculated values (Mn,th). At the same time the molecular weight distribution (Mw/Mn) was narrow. Temporal control of PET RAFT polymerization of MMA was demonstrated by “ON/OFF” experiments. The resulting PMMA was characterized by 1H–NMR, and GPC. The resultant PMMA could be used as macro-chain transfer agents for the PET RAFT radical polymerization. The chain experiments were successfully carried out and the living characteristics were demonstrated. The probable mechanism was discussed.
KeywordsLiving radical polymerization Photoinduced Photoelectron transfer Reversible addition-fragmentation chain transfer
We thank the National Natural Science Foundation of China (51674117, 51503063), Scientific Research Fund of Hunan Provincial Education Department (Grant No 16 K036, 15B101).
- 1.Chiefari J, Chong YK, Ercole F, Krstina J, Jeffery J, Le TPT, Mayadunne RTA, Meijs GF, Moad CL, Moad G, Rizzardo E, Thang SH (1998) Macromol 31: 5559Google Scholar
- 2.Perrier S (2017) Macromol 50: 7433Google Scholar
- 3.Anastasaki A, Nikolaou V, Zhang Q, Burns J, Samanta SR, Waldron C, Haddleton AJ, McHale R, Fox D, Percec V, Wilson P, Haddleton DM (2014) J Am Chem Soc 136: 1141Google Scholar
- 4.Wolpers A, Vana P (2014) Macromol 47: 954Google Scholar
- 8.Madrid JF, Ueki Y, Abad LV, Yamanobe T, Seko N (2017). J Appl Polym Sci:134. https://doi.org/10.1002/app.45270