Asymptotics of the Resonant Tunneling of High-Energy Electrons in Two-Dimensional Quantum Waveguides of Variable Cross-Section
A waveguide occupies a strip in ℝ2 having two identical narrows of small diameter ε. An electron wave function satisfies the Helmholtz equation with the homogeneous Dirichlet boundary condition. The energy of electrons may be rather high, i.e., any (fixed) number of waves can propagate in the strip far from the narrows. As ε → 0, a neighborhood of a narrow is assumed to transform into a neighborhood of the common vertex of two vertical angles. The part of the waveguide between the narrows as ε = 0 is called the resonator. An asymptotics of the transmission coefficient is obtained in the waveguide as ε → 0. Near a degenerate eigenvalue of the resonator, the leading term of the asymptotics has two sharp peaks. Positions and shapes of the resonant peaks are described.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.L. M. Baskin, M. M. Kabardov, P. Neittaanmäki, B. A. Plamenevskii, and O. V. Sarafanov, “Asymptotic and numerical study of resonant tunneling in two-dimensional quantum waveguides of variable cross-section,” Comp. Math. Math. Phys., 53, No. 11, 1664–1683 (2013).MathSciNetCrossRefzbMATHGoogle Scholar
- 6.L. M. Baskin, P. Neittaanmäki, and B. A. Plamenevskii, “Semiconductor device and method to control the states of the semiconductor device and to manufacture the same,” Patent 121489, Finland (2010).Google Scholar
- 7.L. M. Baskin, P. Neittaanmäki, B. A. Plamenevskii, and A. A. Pozharskii, “Arrangement in a waveguide branch for channeling an electron flow and corresponding method,” Patent 122219, Finland (2011).Google Scholar
- 8.L. M. Baskin, M. M. Kabardov, P. Neittaanmäki, B. A. Plamenevskii, and O. V. Sarafanov, “Device for detecting magnetic fields,” Patent 124670 B, Finland (2013).Google Scholar
- 9.L. Baskin, P. Neittaanmäki, B. Plamenevskii, and O. Sarafanov, “Resonant Tunneling: Quantum Waveguides of Variable Cross-Sections, Asymptotics, Numerics, and Applications,” Lecture Notes on Numerical Methods in Engineering and Sciences, Springer (2015).Google Scholar
- 10.S. A. Nazarov and B. A. Plamenevskii, “Elliptic problems in domains with piecewise smooth boundaries,” Gruyter Exposition in Mathematics, 13, Walter de Gruyter, Berlin (1994).Google Scholar