Calcium-Substituted Y3Ba5Cu8O18 Ceramics Synthesized via Thermal Treatment Method: Structural and Superconducting Properties
- 70 Downloads
In this work, Y3(Ba1−xCax)5Cu8O18 compounds with x = 0.00, 0.01, 0.02, 0.03 and 0.05 were synthesized by thermal treatment of aqueous solution of metal nitrates and polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP). The effects of Ca substitution on the crystal structure, electrical resistance and the microstructure of samples were investigated using X-ray diffraction (XRD), field emission scanning electron microscopy (FESEM), four-point probe measurement and AC susceptibility. FESEM analysis showed that there was an increase in the grain size and compactness. The zero-resistance critical temperature decreased from 92 K for the pure sample to 83 K for sample x = 0.05. From AC susceptibility result, the intra- and inter-granular loss peaks shifted toward lower temperature and become wider and broader with the increase of Ca substitution due to the weakening of grain coupling. On the other hand, the inter-granular critical current density (Jcm) was found to increase with Ca substitution and has the highest value Jcm = 35 A cm− 2 at x = 0.05, indicating that the Ca substitution was associated with the formation of pinning centres in the Y-358 matrix.
KeywordsCa substitution Y-Ba-Cu-O compounds Critical temperature Thermal treatment AC susceptibility
The authors would like to thank the Faculty of Science, Universiti Putra Malaysia, for providing a suitable environment to conduct this research. Mustafa Mousa Dihom would like to thank the Ministry of Education Libya for a scholarship he received during his study.
This work was supported by the Ministry of Education Malaysia (MOE) under grant no. FRGS5524941 and by the Universiti Putra Malaysia.
- 18.Dihom, M.M., Shaari, A.H., Baqiah, H., Al-Hada, N.M., Kien, C.S., Azis, R.S., Kechik, M.M. A., Talib, Z.A., Abd-Shukor, R.: Microstructure and superconducting properties of Ca substituted Y(Ba1− xCax)2Cu3O7−δ ceramics prepared by thermal treatment method. Results in Physics (2017)Google Scholar
- 23.Dias, F.T., Oliveira, C.P.D., Vieira, V.D.N., Silva, D., Mesquita, F., Almeida, M.L.D., Schaf, J., Pureur, P.: Magnetic irreversibility and zero resistance in granular Y358 superconductor. In: Journal of Physics: Conference Series, vol. 2, p. 022009. IOP Publishing (2014)Google Scholar
- 24.Zarabinia, N., Daadmehr, V., Tehrani, F.S., Abbasi, M.: Influence of Ag/Cu substitution on structural effect of new high temperature superconductor Y3Ba5Cu8O18. Prog. Mater. Sci. 11, 242–247 (2015)Google Scholar
- 29.Al-Hada, N.M., Saion, E., Kamari, H.M., Flaifel, M.H., Shaari, AH., Talib, Z.A., Abdullahi, N., Baqer, A. A., Kharazmi, A.: Structural, morphological and optical behaviour of PVP capped binary (ZnO)0.4(CdO)0.6 nanoparticles synthesised by a facile thermal route. Mater. Sci. Semicond. Process. 53, 56–65 (2016)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Dihom, M.M., Shaari, A.H., Baqiah, H., Al-Hada, N.M., Talib, Z.A., Kien, C.S., Azis, R.S., Kechik, M.M. A., Pah, L.K., Abd-Shukor, R.: Structural and superconducting properties of Y(Ba1−xKx)2Cu3O7−δ ceramics. Ceramics International (2017)Google Scholar
- 32.Dihom, M.M., Shaari, A.H., Baqiah, H., Al-Hada, N.M., Chen, S.K., Azis, R.A.S., Awang Kechik, M.M., Abd-Shukor, R.: Effects of calcination temperature on microstructure and superconducting properties of Y123 ceramic prepared using thermal treatment method. In: Solid State Phenomena 2017, pp. 325-329. Trans Tech PublGoogle Scholar