Effect of Ferrimagnetic Cr2S3 on AC Susceptibility and Superconducting Properties of YBa2Cu3O7−δ
- 33 Downloads
Superconductivity and magnetism are mutually exclusive phenomena. This work was carried out to investigate the effect of ferrimagnetic Cr2S3 addition on YBa2Cu3O7−δ superconductor. The solid-state reaction method was used to prepare YBa2Cu3O7−δ (Cr2S3)x (x = 0 to 0.3 wt%). The samples were characterized by using the four-probe method to measure the electrical resistivity and AC susceptibility to measure the critical temperature, Tcχ and critical current density at the peak temperature Tp of the complex susceptibility, Jc(Tp). The x-ray diffraction (XRD) method was used to determine the phase and structure of the sample. Field emission electron microscopy (FESEM) was used to determine the microstructure. The x = 0.05 sample showed the highest onset transition temperature, Tc−onset (93 K), zero-resistance temperature, Tc−zero (89 K), Tcχ (93 K) and Tp (86 K). Addition of Cr2S3 did not affect the orthorhombic structure. However, the addition of Cr2S3 for x ≥ 0.10 showed some impurity peaks in the XRD patterns. The grain size decreased with Cr2S3 addition. Cr2S3 improved the intergrain coupling and flux pinning as indicated by the increase in Jc(Tp) and Tp. These results are compared with other magnetic and non-magnetic materials addition to YBa2Cu3O7−δ.
KeywordsCritical current density Electrical properties Ferromagnetic Microstructure X-ray diffraction
This research was supported by Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia under grant number AP-2015-006 and the Ministry of Higher Education of Malaysia under grant no. FRGS/1/2017/STG02/UKM/01/1.
- 2.Lyuksyutov, I.F., Naugle, D.G.: Proceeding of SPIE,, p. 376 (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Zhang, Y.F., Izumi, M., Xu, Y., Gao, T., Kimura, Y.: J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. 234, 012052 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Sahoo, M., Behera, D.: J. Material Sci. Eng. 1, 115 (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Wei, K., Ing, K., Hamdan, M.S., Radiman, S., Abd-Shukor, R.: J. Supercond. Nov. Magn. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10948-017-4536-0 (2018)
- 16.Begam, M.R., Rao, N.M., Joshi, G.M., Kaleemulla, S., Shobana, M., Krishna, N.S., Kuppan, M.: Adv. Condens. Matter Phys. 2013, 218659 (2013)Google Scholar