Laser Source Influence on the Preferential Growth and the Inversion Degree in Pulsed Laser CoFe2O4 Films
- 86 Downloads
A comparative study between cobalt ferrite films deposited by pulsed laser deposition as a function of the laser sources, 355 nm (Nd:YAG) and 248 nm (KrF excimer), on amorphous quartz (AQ) and < 100 > -oriented silicon wafer (SW) at different temperatures (650–800 ∘C) is presented. Also, a quantitative estimation of the preferential crystalline growth orientation as laser source function was made by means of Lotgering factor and Harris texture coefficient, which were obtained from XRD patterns. The inversion degree in spinel-type structure for cobalt ferrite films was calculated through a deconvolution in Raman spectra, where the band A1g vibrating modes in tetrahedral sites were associated with Fe and Co sites (687 and 611 cm−1, respectively). Additionally, saturation magnetization was also calculated from the inversion degree obtained from deconvolution of the Raman spectra in CoFe2O4 films, being compared with experimental results, which is in a good agreement with cobalt ferrite bulk, and we also correlated the preferential growth and the particle size with increment of the coercive field.
KeywordsCoFe2O4 films Raman spectroscopy Spinel inversion degree
The authors acknowledge the LUCE for the Raman measurements, and Carlos Flores Morales (IIM-UNAM) and Adriana Tejeda Cruz (IIM-UNAM) for the AFM and GIXRD measurements, respectively. We like to thank C. Sanchez-Aké for providing the PLD system and R. Sato for the discussion. Finally, E. López-Moreno thanks the CONACyT, Mexico, for the scholar grant no. 255468.
This work was financially supported by the DGAPA-UNAM, through the PAPIIT grant no. IG100517.
- 1.Cullity, B.D., Graham, C.D.: Introduction to magnetic materials. Cullity. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1369-7021(09)70091-4 (2009)
- 9.Scott, B.L., Radu, C., Smith, D.A., Stokes, K.L.: Magneto-optical study of cobalt ferrite nanoparticles. In: Tms 2008 annual meeting supplemental proceedings, vol 3 Gen. Pap. Sel., pp 399–404 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Raghunathan, A., Nlebedim, I.C., Jiles, D.C., Snyder, J.E.: Growth of crystalline cobalt ferrite thin films at lower temperatures using pulsed-laser deposition technique. J. Appl. Phys. 107. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.3357315(2010)
- 12.Ferreira, T.A.S., Waerenborgh, J.C., Mendonça, M.H.R.M., Nunes, M.R., Costa, F.M.: Structural and morphological characterization of FeCo2O4 and CoFe2O4 spinels prepared by a coprecipitation method. Solid State Sci. 5, 383–392 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S1293-2558(03)00011-6 ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Hassan, R.S., Viart, N., Ulhaq-Bouillet, C., Loison, J.L., Versini, G., Vola, J.P., Crégut, O., Pourroy, G., Muller, D., Chateigner, D.: Structural properties of cobalt ferrite thin films deposited by pulsed laser deposition: effect of the reactive atmosphere. Thin Solid Films 515, 2943–2948 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsf.2006.08.033 ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Madhav Kumar, V., Srinivas, A., Talapatra, A., Asthana, S., Mohanty, J., Kamat, S.: Effect of deposition temperature on structural microstructural and magnetic properties of CoFe2O4 thin films deposited by pulsed laser deposition (2016)Google Scholar
- 19.Shirsath, S.E., Liu, X., Yasukawa, Y., Li, S., Morisako, A.: Switching of magnetic easy-axis using crystal orientation for large perpendicular coercivity in CoFe2O4 thin film. Sci. Rep. 6. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep30074(2016)
- 22.Furushima, R., Tanaka, S., Kato, Z., Uematsu, K.: Orientation distribution–Lotgering factor relationship in a polycrystalline material—as an example of bismuth titanate prepared by a magnetic field. J. Ceram. Soc. Jpn. 118, 921–926 (2010). https://doi.org/10.2109/jcersj2.118.921 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Pham-Thi, M., Hemery, H., Dammak, H.: X ray investigation of high oriented (1 - x)PbMg1/3Nb2/3O3–(x)PbTiO3 ceramics. J. Eur. Ceram. Soc. 25, 2433–2435 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeurceramsoc.2005.03.077 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Sagar, E.S., Liu, X., Yusakawa, Y., Li, S., Morisako, A.: Sci. Rep. 1–9. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep30074 (2016)
- 32.Milutinović, A., Lazarević, Z., Jovalekić, .̌ C. , Kuryliszyn-Kudelska, I., Romčević, M., Kostić, S., Romčević, N.: The cation inversion and magnetization in nanopowder zinc ferrite obtained by soft mechanochemical processing. Mater. Res. Bull. 48, 4759–4768 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.materresbull.2013.08.020 CrossRefGoogle Scholar